The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

SDGW Check

birkettm

Could someone check SDGW for me and if possible mail the print out?

Much appreciated.

35748 Pte Edward Scott 15/Durham Light Infantry.

Fell 16 September 1916.

Thanks!

Could someone check SDGW for me and if possible mail the print out?

Much appreciated.

35748 Pte Edward Scott 15/Durham Light Infantry.

Fell 16 September 1916.

Thanks!

Different number to the one you supply, but I presume this is the same chap?

Dave.

post-1-1096666384.jpg

certainly is. can you put the whole certificate on so i can print it out?

I can....but what I've scanned is all there is to it really. The rest is just details about the Naval and Military Press. :blink:

Dave.

certainly is. can you put the whole certificate on so i can print it out?

I can....but what I've scanned is all there is to it really. The rest is just details about the Naval and Military Press. :blink:

Dave.

Here you are. (Sorry for my confusion, I'm just a little phased by you wanting what is basically a third of a sheet of blank A4 plus an advertisement about the N&MP - it's not an official "certificate" of any description, you know.)

Here it is anyway.

Dave.

post-1-1096674393.jpg

Can you also do the one for:

19781 Private Charles Wilson 11/Northumberland Fusiliers.

Sorry to be a pain!

Can you also do the one for:

19781 Private Charles Wilson 11/Northumberland Fusiliers.

Sorry to be a pain!

In the same format as the last one, I suppose?

Here it is....

post-1-1096753900.jpg

Cheers Marra.

Throws up an interesting one cause ive got a copy of his death cert that says he was 11/NF.

Ta!

Marc

Cheers Marra.

Throws up an interesting one cause ive got a copy of his death cert that says he was 11/NF.

Ta!

Marc

Marc.

There are many errors in SDGW (even more than in the original volumes on the CD-ROM). I'd go along with his death certificate, if I was you.

Dave. (By the way - I haven't looked- which battalion does the CWGC listing give?)

I have a copy of the cert that would have went with his death plaque which states 11/NF, his CWGC states "Depot Battalion, Northumberland Fusiliers", and SDGW states 10/NF.

Which is correct do you think?

I have a copy of the cert that would have went with his death plaque which states 11/NF, his CWGC states "Depot Battalion, Northumberland Fusiliers", and SDGW states 10/NF.

Just a thought - he was seriously wounded & returned to UK for hospital treatment. He would have been posted to held strength Depot while in hospital where he later died. Does my theory hold water???

All The Best

Chris

Possibly, he is buried in Tynemouth. However his certificate says died of wounds france and flanders so my working theory till now was that his family brought him home to be buried.

Its a stretch though.

He certainly was not brought home for burial.

Such practice was banned in mid 1915 and no 'other ranks' were returned even before this date - only officers.

SDGW contains many similar errors. There are many entries which state they died in F&F but, in fact, were returned wounded only to die in the UK. However, it is possible that he died aboard a ship returning him for treatment.

If you have any suggestions as to find out once and for all im happy to follow them up. else it may just have to remain a great unknown!

SDGW contains many similar errors. There are many entries which state they died in F&F but, in fact, were returned wounded only to die in the UK. However, it is possible that he died aboard a ship returning him for treatment.

I'm not too sure that it actually is an error. There's the possibility that SDGW purposely lists the theatre where their cause of death (ie. wounding) occured, even if they actually died at home. In other words, he died at home of wounds received in F&F.

I believe that there are too many of these occurances in the volumes of SDGW for it to be an error. I think it's more a case of how you interprate the info that it supplies.

Dave.

• 3 weeks later...
Just a thought - he was seriously wounded & returned to UK for hospital treatment. He would have been posted to held strength Depot while in hospital where he later died. Does my theory hold water???

All The Best

Chris

Well done Chris! See his MIC below.

It clealy states D of W.

Ta Marc.

post-1-1098727414.gif

Marc:

Based on the start of this thread, I thought you might like to see a 15th DLI guy who died the same day as your Edward Scott.

Name: DICKINSON, THOMAS

Initials: T

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Durham Light Infantry

Unit Text: 15th Bn.

Date of Death: 16/09/1916

Service No: 20085

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Pier and Face 14 A and 15 C

Cemetery: THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

Chris

post-1-1098756657.jpg