The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

A Surgeon's Journal 1915-1918

seaJane

Just to say, that as cataloguing progresses around "my" library, I find that we have a copy of this book (London: Constable, 1936).

So, if anyone wants anything in it looked up, just let me know.

sJ

Harvey Cushing was an interesting man. I think it was he who suggested names for the locations of hospitals like Bandaghem and Mendinghem, and the Army did not take up his other option....Buryinghem.

After the war, he returned to Chacago and became one of the foremost brain surgeons. As a mark of respect for his 2,000th such operation, his students filmed the operation. It is remarkable to see the array of arterial clamps he used. He also believed in just a local anaesthetic, so the patient was awake throughout. The film has no sound. It was made with sound, but he discouraged any noise in his operating room, so it is silent. Aparantly, his surgical technique has never been surpassed.

An interesting man.....

Bruce

• 1 year later...

Jane,

I appreciate I am a bit late in responding to your offer, but if it still stands I would appreciate if you could check the book for any mention of the Edinburgh War Hospital, Bangour. I know that a number of American doctors worked at Bangour, at some point. In the Long Long Trail section on Bangour War Hospital, Harvey Cushing is mentioned. I would particularly like to know when he was there, and in what capacity. Names of other doctors mentioned would also be appreciated.

Regards,

Alf McM

HW Cushing: Also the describer of the disease, and the syndrome that now bears his name.

A name known to all doctors and medical students.

Cushing's Syndrome is a set of symptoms that occur if your body is exposed to high doses of corticosteroids, these consist of weight gain, glucose intolerance and diabetes, osteoporosis, stretch marks on the abdomen, and many more.

He described the cause of the symptoms- a tumour of the Pituitary gland in the brain, and that was labelled as Cushing's disease.

Sadly, nowadays, most causes of Cushing's Syndrome are iatrogenic, i.e. as a result of steroids prescribed to treat serious illnesses.

Ironic that he would not have seen a iatrogenic cause of the syndrome in his lifetime.

Cushing also helped make the use of blood pressure measurement more routine in the USA in the pre Great War era.

One of the Great Men of Medicine.

Thanks Dai and Kath,

The book doesn't mention him being at Bangour, but it only goes up to 1918. Bangour was a War Hospital until 1920, so he must have been there after the war. He certainly is an interesting character.

Regards,

Alf McM

Also on Archive.org

https://archive.org/details/39002011122562.med.yale.edu

The story of U.S. Army Base Hospital No. 5

https://archive.org/details/harveycushingsur007961mbp

Harvey Cushing Surgeon Author Artist by Elizabeth H Thomson

WW1 section commences page 185 https://archive.org/stream/harveycushingsur007961mbp#page/n215/mode/2up/

Cheers

Maureen

I wasn't at work today so thanks Kath for posting the link! Back at the desk on Monday....