The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Women's Legion

Tonym

Can anybody assist please? I am trying to locate any information on theWomen's Legion an organisation recognised by an ACI in February 1916 and members paid by the War Office. Some, if not all, of these ladies would probably have transferred to the Women's Army Auxiliary Corps, later Queen Mary's Army Auxiliary Corps.

I am at a crucial stage of having a lady recorded on the C.W.G.C. 'Debt of Honour' Register but I need to confirm whether she was a Red Cross Nurse or a Worker in QMAAC when she died. The only official record that I have located is a medal roll confirming the awards of the 1914-1919 War Medal and the Victory Medal I am advised that the other records for the QMAAC were destroyed in W W 2.

It has been a complicated research too long to record here but any assistance will be greatly appreciated not only by me but by the lady whose service can now be officially recognised.

Regards, Tonym

The Women's Legion was formed by Lady Londonderry to provide a reservoir of women who could relieve soldiers at home for more active roles. They initially provided cooks for convalesecent hospitals and spread their activities to include waitresses at officer cadet units, command depots, and rest camps. One group of drivers was absorbed by the ASC.

With the formation of the WAAC, many Women's Legion members transferred to the new corps. The lady you are interested would have in the the QMAAC rather than being a Red Cross nurse, since the Women's Legion did not cover nursing. That is assuming that she was a WL member.

Charles M

In my researching of WW1 serving female casualties I know of four Women's Legion members not logged with the CWGC. (Cumming, May, McNally and Watkinson). I might be able to help Tonym if he would give me more information.

To Charles & Jim

Thank you for your comments. Jim, I will respond to your Email, in detail, separately.

Charles, thanks for your info,I was aware that QMAAC members did not undertake nursing duties but I have been unable to find a connection between the two ladies names (both identical surname and initials) that I have. The first one, who started my research was confirmed as a BRCS Trained Nurse but she died before the WAAC(subsequently QMAAC) was established. The second one, confirmed on National Archives Medal Roll as QMAAC was the point of confusion. It then occured to me that she may have joined the Women's Legion before she died who, as you have now confirmed, were absorbed into the WAAC on establishment.

Thanks again for your interest, will let you know the result

Tony Murphy