The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Belgian Soldiers buried in England

Guest Russell.Gore@crawley.gov.uk

:D Greetings,whilst visiting the Village of Westerham in Kent,i took the oppourtunity to visit the local Church and was surprised to find the Graves of 4 Belgian Soldiers buried there....i suspect that they may have DOW but i thought that the Belgian Army would have had its own Hospital system operating during ww1,any thoughts or observations on this matter ?????. :P

Russell

I don't know if this helps you but there were thousands of Belgian civilians evacuated to Britain during the war and dispersed all over.

My town, Darlington had a few hundred staying in the town.

I would assume that all Belgian males living in Britain of fighting age would have been drafted into the Belgian Army and possibly if wounded would have been taken back to hospitals near their families.

You don't say the date they died. If it's 1918 it could have been flu.

Hope this helps.

SEAN

There are a large number of Belgians buried in the UK - most of whom died of wounds in hospitals or of illness.

As most of Belgium was occupied by Germany, their casualties were dealt with by the British system.

Russell

As you are from Sussex, there are Belgian war graves in Brighton, Hastings and Eastbourne.

HI,

bad cases of wounds were often shipped to England and also recieved treatment in British hospitals.

If they died there, they were also buried there....

There are Belgian soldiers' graves at the former military hospital in Netley. They would have come straight across the Channel to that establishment alongside British wounded.

thanks to all for your help,it certainly has put matters into perspective,once again thanks to all.

Hi

Attached should be a picture of British and Belgian Soldiers undergoing convalescence in Herne Bay, Kent during WW!.

Steve

nice picture!