The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

CANADIAN FIELD ARTILLERY

Cuirassier

Hello All,

Can anyone tell me what was the typical field dress appearance of a Canadian Field Artillery NCO in 1916-17? Did he carried a Pattern 1903 Five Pocket Bandolier or a P03 Nine Pocket Bandolier? ....

Richard

This is how I have set up my 36th CFA rig based on period post cards of CFA gunners / drivers...........

TT

post-15846-0-64749800-1390062556_thumb.j

post-15846-0-63566100-1390062568_thumb.j

post-15846-0-56922500-1390062960_thumb.j

post-15846-0-04915100-1390062976_thumb.j

This is how I have set up my 36th CFA rig based on period post cards of CFA gunners / drivers...........

TT

TT,

Very nice CFA display! Is it a 5 Pocket bandolier?

I like the way you present your collection. It's clean and well done.

Richard

Richard,

Thanks, yes its a 5 pocket bandolier dated 1915. I will dig out a pc of a Canadian Artillery man wearing one and post.

Regards

TT

The pc. Note Div patch to upper shoulder. Not sure which Div though? Blck and white means it could be a choice??? He is wearing a 02 pattern British tunic, not unusual because as the war progressed supplying the Candian pattern became increasingly difficult.

TT

post-15846-0-59002600-1390064435_thumb.j

The pc. Note Div patch to upper shoulder. Not sure which Div though? Blck and white means it could be a choice??? He is wearing a 02 pattern British tunic, not unusual because as the war progressed supplying the Candian pattern became increasingly difficult.

TT

TT,

Nice picture!

I will send you a PM.

Richard

The patch on my tunic is 3 rd div. it is French grey / blue. In the PC you can't tell.

TT

Hi,

Can someone tell me if the lanyard was worn on the tunic in field dress by CFA Other Ranks?

Richard

3oq7.jpg

Yes it was

TT

Yes it was

TT

BTW the lanyard was worn by any OR's that elected to, most soldiers used it to carry their clasp knife and tucked it intothe breast pocket - this was not an artillery affectation and had nothing to do with guns specifically.

Yes it was

TT

Yes it was

TT

Thanks again for your help TT!

BTW the lanyard was worn by any OR's that elected to, most soldiers used it to carry their clasp knife and tucked it intothe breast pocket - this was not an artillery affectation and had nothing to do with guns specifically.

I agree with you ''ScottM''.