The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Price differences 1st WW books 2nd hand

centurion

Just been ordering term 2's reading list using the forum's connections. I am struck (as I was last year) by a number of things

1. The often significant difference in price between Amazon and AbeBooks dealers (the latter being usually much cheaper.)
  2. The quicker delivery from the latter and a much more precise definition of when I can expect to receive them (even when the books are shipped from the USA to the UK)
  3. In general the more customer friendly and quicker responses, notification of shipping etc from the latter
  4. Much less follow up marketing rubbish from AbeBooks than from Amazon

I now only use Amazon if I cannot get the book from AbeBooks (which is very rare) Do other members find the same and if so what is the reason - are Amazon (and/or their dealers) just greedier, less efficient or what?

Tend to agree on the abe front ,have noted when dealing with some dealers in USA they have even been ready to do a deal on postage or the book price , and some of those Americian divisional histories are very good.

I think that one reason you get a more professional service with ABE is that booksellers have to pay a monthly fee to sell on the

site, so the sellers tend to be full time book dealers, whereas with Amazon you only pay a fee when you sell a book so there are

more sellers who just do it for a little extra pocket money. One of the advantages with Amazon over ABE is that you can leave feedback

on your purchases so it is to the sellers advantage to provide a good service.

With Amazon the seller has to dispatch the item within two working days or they will be marked down (which could lead to their accounts

being suspended) , so it is to their advantage to send the item quickly.

I think that one reason you get a more professional service with ABE is that booksellers have to pay a monthly fee to sell on the

site, so the sellers tend to be full time book dealers, whereas with Amazon you only pay a fee when you sell a book so there are

more sellers who just do it for a little extra pocket money. One of the advantages with Amazon over ABE is that you can leave feedback

on your purchases so it is to the sellers advantage to provide a good service.

With Amazon the seller has to dispatch the item within two working days or they will be marked down (which could lead to their accounts

being suspended) , so it is to their advantage to send the item quickly.

So how come Amazon takes longer?

From my limited experience I have found that second-hand books are considerably cheaper in the USA than their equivalent in the UK. The downside is the postal costs which can almost balance the difference. I am very fortunate however, whereby we have relatives in the USA who come to the UK a couple of times a year, so they purchase a book for me and bring it with them on their next trip. This works very well for me although I realise that this will not be an option open to all.

Robert

From my limited experience I have found that second-hand books are considerably cheaper in the USA than their equivalent in the UK. The downside is the postal costs which can almost balance the difference. I am very fortunate however, whereby we have relatives in the USA who come to the UK a couple of times a year, so they purchase a book for me and bring it with them on their next trip. This works very well for me although I realise that this will not be an option open to all.

Robert

The latest order I placed with Abe this morning was for two books - both about 300 pages one is coming from a US book seller and the other from a British -- postal on both is £2.40

The book from the USA is costing me £15 the cheapest Amazon price was £20 give or take a few pennies with postage at about £4.00 so £17ish versus £24 - go figure.

International postage rates do seem a bit weird. I have bought several items recently from China and the postage has been inclusive - they have duly arrived via air-mail pretty quickly. I must say that I just don't understand how it can be done at the price. is there something similar happening with books?

I understand that the Royal Mail has just made their rates for sending books more attractive. Is this true?

I have wondered looking at the way that cheaper copies on Amazon often seem to have higher P&P charges (so the overall cost is about the same) if this is another form of transfer costing for tax avoidance

The latest order I placed with Abe this morning was for two books - both about 300 pages one is coming from a US book seller and the other from a British -- postal on both is £2.40

The book from the USA is costing me £15 the cheapest Amazon price was £20 give or take a few pennies with postage at about £4.00 so £17ish versus £24 - go figure.

Sounds like you have done well there, my experience a few years ago from the USA was very high on postage. Of course my present system cannot be beaten on price :thumbsup:

I have wondered looking at the way that cheaper copies on Amazon often seem to have higher P&P charges (so the overall cost is about the same) if this is another form of transfer costing for tax avoidance

I think the scam often is that some poor unsuspecting business effectively pays the postage costs i.e your item goes out in a mass of other packages - the seller then pockets the postage payment you make. I presume having a low item cost may also reduce his/her fees in some way.

I think the scam often is that some poor unsuspecting business effectively pays the postage costs i.e your item goes out in a mass of other packages - the seller then pockets the postage payment you make. I presume having a low item cost may also reduce his/her fees in some way.

I was thinking maybe they under charged for the book but overcharged for the postage so that they showed no profit on the book and recorded the postage as a recovered cost thus ending up with the same amount of takings but recording no taxable income

Even the same company has different prices, The History of the LIncolnshire Regiment 1914-1918 sold by N&MP is £17.60 on their website and £11 sold by them on Abe. P&P is £3.85 for both.