The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

BRASS HAT IN FROM THE COLD?

David Filsell

CHARLES MESSENGER

Broken Sword: The Tumultuous Life of General Frank Crozier, Pen and sword Barnsley,

£25.00, 229 pp, 14 ills, 9 maps, notes and refs, bibliog., index, ISBN 184884897-8

Its a reasonable supposition that a brigade commander during the Great War who titled one of his books 'Brass Hat in No Mans Land' and another 'The Men I Killed' was not an entirely conventional soldier. Son of a cashiered officer, and himself forced to resign his commission before 1914; Frank Crozier served in the Boer War, in West Africa and became involved in the Ulster Defence Volunteers. Post war he was appointed Inspector General of the Lithuanian Army and, later, served with Auxiliary division of The Royal Irish Constabulary during The Troubles. Both appointments ended unsatisfactorily - for him and those above him.

After an initial wartime posting to a battalion of the 36th Ulster Division, Crozier, rapidly rose to command - and build the reputation of 119th Infantry Brigade (40th Division) until after the Armistice. He earned a sound reputation as a single mindedly effective trainer and commander. He was not least a thruster, militarily and personally, who, not least, he earned four mentions in Despatches, gained a clutch of awards and held temporary divisional command. As a genuine front line commander Crozier was ruthless in degumming officers and battalion commanders he considered duds. Those whose bravery and efficiency he respected he accorded due credit in word, deed and by promotion.

After the war he was refused a permanent commission, not least because of a pre war record of kiting, the careless passing of worthless cheques and debt. Thus it seems clear; despite his wartime success he was never considered one of us. In fact he never had been, for above all he was one of the contrarians and mavericks which the British Army throws up from time to time.

Failing to obtain a permanent commission and impecunious, he served without success in Lithuania. Later he was employed in Ulster with indisplined British paramilitary forces (and from which his resignation created considerable scandal). Then, threatened, he proved a man shamelessly prepared to use the press to support his position and reputation, dissembled in his books without embarrassment, claimed, and wore, medals to which he was almost certainly not entitled. Finally he became an unlikely founder member of the Peace Pledge Union

Author Charles Messenger is both an ex soldier and well established military writer. His skills as a writer and researcher into the obscure depths of a highly complicated career - and the duplicitous and complexity post war politics in which Crozier became involved - is fascinating He seeks to sort fact from fiction about the mans career. Forget the warts, Broken Sword a fascinating boils and all biography of a unique Divisional Commander of a strange driven character. Frank Croziers career, in all but his genuine moral and physical bravery, was both Flashmanesque and fascinating.

Yes, I have long been fascinated by Crozier and look forward to reading this "boils and all" book. A man beyond warts obviously.

I have always pictured him rather in the mould of the surfing officer in Apocalypse Now - a mad bad and dangerous to know type. Seems like I may have undercooked it!

Yes, I have long been fascinated by Crozier and look forward to reading this "boils and all" book. A man beyond warts obviously.

I have always pictured him rather in the mould of the surfing officer in Apocalypse Now - a mad bad and dangerous to know type. Seems like I may have undercooked it!

"I love the smell of Mustard Gas in the morning" ?

I think that he was a far cry from the Apocalypse now soldier or loved the smell of mustard gas in the morning. He comes over as an extremely competent officer - controversial and deliberately controversialist certainly. But not the simple fire eater of popular misbelief is my overall judgement after reading Charles messenger's book.

His other books are just as interesting - 'Impressions and Recollections' and 'The men I Killed'. Also if you search Hansard there is a lot about the man.

Good man in a scrap. Wouldn't let him hold me coat.

Ha, ha! That's why this superb site needs a 'like' button.

On a point of detail "employed in Ulster with indisplined British paramilitary forces" isn't quite an accurate summary...

His books have long been on my list to get and read since I read 'The Thin Yellow Line' and he receives several mentions in that book too. Charles' book will now have to join the list too. Reading this thread has brought them to my attention again Oh dear and my birthday is ages away yet :(

Nick - or may I call you 82.

Happy to be corrected and would welcome your wording. Certainly I should have said Ireland rather than Ulster but certainly they were paramilitary (ie not army) and indisciplined.

Please advise.

David

If you miss all information that fill the gaps, he had a good war(s)

Born, 9th January, 1879.

Served as Lieutenant in 4th Battalion, Middlesex Rifle Volunteers, 1896.

Served as Lieutenant in Militia, 1897, and as a corporal in Thornycroft's Mounted Infantry in the South African War.

Obtained a commission as 2nd Lieutenant in the Manchester Regiment (from ranks of Local Military Forces, Natal), 19th May, 1900.

Lieutenant, Manchester Regiment, 13th July, 1901.

Employed with West African Frontier Force from 3rd June, 1901, to 17th September, 1905.

To half-pay, 31st March, 1908.

Resigned commission, 17th June, 1908.

Commissioned as Captain, 3rd Battalion, Loyal North Lancashire Regiment, 17th June, 1908.

Resigned commission, 22nd May, 1909.

War, 1914–1919.

Commissioned Temporary Captain, Service Battalions, September, 1914.

9th Service Battalion (West Belfast), Royal Irish Rifles.

Temporary Major, Second in Command, 4th September, 1914.

Temporary Lieutenant-Colonel whilst Commanding Battalion, 8th January, 1916.

Temporary Brigadier - General, General List, 20th November, 1916.

Commander, 119th Infantry Brigade.

Relinquished appointment and temporary rank of Brigadier-General, 15th April, 1919.

Lieut.-Colonel F. P. Crozier, temporary to Command 3rd Reserve Battalion, Welsh Regiment, 24th April, 1919.

Ceased to Command 3rd Reserve Battalion, Welsh Regiment, 22nd July, 1919.

Relinquished Commission and granted honorary rank of Brigadier-General, 31st July, 1919.

Unofficial. — Attached Lithuanian Delegation, Paris. General Major Lithuanian Forces.

War Services.

South African War, 1899–1901.—Relief of Ladysmith, including action at Colenso; operations of 17th to 24th January, 1900, and action at Spion Kop; operations of 5th to 7th February and action at Vaal Kranz; operations on Tugela Heights (14th to 27th February). Operations in Natal, March to June, 1900, including action at Laing's Nek (6th to 9th June). Operations in Orange River Colony, May to 28th November, 1900, including actions at Wittebergen (1st to 29th July), and Caledon River (27th to 29th July).

Operations in the Transvaal and Orange River Colony, 30th November to December, 1900.

Operations in Cape Colony, December, 1900, to January, 1901. Queen's Medal with seven clasps.

West Africa (Northern Nigeria), 1903.—Kano-Sokoto Campaign. Medal with clasp. Sokoto-Burmi operations.

The War of 1914–19.—Despatches "London Gazette," 4th January, 1917; 15th May, 1917; 11th December, 1917; 20th May, 1918; 20th December, 1918; and 5th July, 1919. French War Cross, C.B., C.M.G., D.S.O.

• 3 weeks later...

FRANK CROZIER’S MEDALS & AWARDS

BRIGADIER GENERAL FRANCIS PERCY CROZIER

C.B., C.M.G., D.S.O., Croix de Guerre avec Palm (France)

Commanding 40th Division

Late 9th Royal Irish Rifles, 107th (Belfast) Brigade, 36th Ulster Division

Badge of a Commander of the Most Honourable Order of the Bath, Military Division

Badge of a Commander of the Order of St. Michael and St. George

Distinguished Service Order G.V.R.

Queen’s South Africa Medal 1898-1902 clasps, Cape Colony, Tugela Heights, Relief of Ladysmith, Transvaal, Laing’s Nek, Wittebergen Lieut. Manch. Regt. King’s South Africa Medal 1901-1902 clasps, South Africa 1901, South Africa 1902 Ashanti Medal 1900 (no clasp) Lieut. W.A.F.F.* Africa General Service Medal 1902-1956 clasp N. Nigeria 1903 Lieut. 2/N.N. Regt. Natal Rebellion Medal 1906 clasp 1906 Capt. Royston’s Horse* 1914-15 Star Maj. R. Irish. Rif. British War Medal 1914-20 Brig-General Victory Medal 1914-18 MID bronze oak leaf emblem Victoria Jubilee Medal 1897* Edward VII Coronation Medal 1902* French Croix de Guerre avec Palm (Palm*)

* Medals to which he has dubious entitlement/not entitled!

The medal group above, comprising Honours and Awards, Campaign, Jubilee and Coronation medals, was that worn by a very controversial character - General Frank Crozier. But all is not what it seems and the fascinating story of his medals, official and unofficial, falls primarily into three parts.

Part One

Although Frank Crozier sported this fine group of medals on his chest until his dying day, as befitted a man of his military prowess, the group never really represented his true military career. At the time of his death, the only authorized issue campaign medals that he wore were

1914-15 Star Maj. R. Irish. Rif. British War Medal 1914-20 Brig-General

Victory Medal 1914-18 MID bronze oak leaf emblem

The remainder of the campaign medals were ALL renamed, together with medals to which he was not entitled.

The above group, including all the renamed medals was sold by Crozier’s virtually destitute widow after his death in August 1937. Crozier had bizarrely passed all proceeds of his publications (his then only source of wealth/income) to his longstanding ‘Bat-man/Man-servant’ David Starrett, 9th R.I.R. His group of miniature medals were passed to his second daughter, then living in Canada and subsequently sold. They are currently in a private collection.

15.7.1939 – Crozier’s widow, Grace (his second wife),then living at 33 Westbourne Terrace, London W2, applied to the King George VI at Windsor Castle for a ‘widow’s pension’ but her application was refused because their marriage had taken place after Crozier had left the Army as a serving officer. (see PRO files)

20.9.1950 – Crozier’s widow applies to the Royal Military Benevolent Fund as does her eldest daughter Hester.

1950 – Crozier’s widow (second wife) Grace, died –

“She died in poverty in the mid 1950’s…she was so poor she had to sell my father’s medals…the miniatures came to me. I have sent them out to Canada to my sister (Mary). She has six children to carry on the family whereas I have none

Extract fron a letter by Mrs Hester Pritchet nee Crozier. 5.9.1984. (aged 70) (see PRO files)

The medal group sold by Mrs Crozier next appeared in 1982, when the group, as described above (original WW1trio together with renamed campaign medals noted in the catalogue) were put up for sale in Sotheby’s Medal Auction 1982 , where they were purchased by a Mr Frank Meredith, formerly of the Lancashire Constabulary

Have recently joined the forum and this is my first posting. Tried to open a new link but didn't know how, so I'm attempting to tag onto this one as it appertains to Frank Crozier. Have viewed numerous postings regarding the many, many facets of his life and have to hand, Charles Messenger's excellent book. I've toyed with the idea of doing something similar over the tears but I'm glad I didn't, because it would have fallen well, well short of Mr Messengers in depth research. I do however have an answer to an unanswered question, seen in both his book and on the forum. I have in my collection ALL of Frank Croziers medals, both authorized and unauthorized and just as controversial was the man, so was the story behind his medals. I've written up a small piece on the medals, which I've divided into three parts - Don't know if this will work by I'll try pasting it and posting it

By the looks of it, the pasting is a shambles!!

Les Nicoll

Les

This is fascinating and I am most grateful to you. I would add that Crozier was also not entitlted to the King's South Africa medal, since he was in West Africa at the time. I am also not quite clear as to why the pre-1914 campaign medals, to which he was entitled, are renamed. When do you think this was done? How does it tie up with the auction of his pre-1914 medals at Spinks in 2001?

Charles M

Charles

Have tried to make contact with you via an e mai that I asked Pen & Sword to forward to you giving all my contact details - it would seem they didn't! I'm entirely new to the WW1 Forum and am not at all sure as to how to proceed with creating a new topic viz 'Croziers Medals'. I thought it would make an interesting talking point, judging by the number of Forum members interested in Frank and I would appreciate a bit of lateral thinking eg his KSA?? Anyway you've picked up on my shambolic first attempt. As I said, I've divided the story of his medals into three parts which fully explains how they all come together. I thought attempting to post the three parts together would be too lengthy so I experimented with part one and judging by the size of this reply box, the remainder certainly won't fit into it. I'd like to open it up to the Forum but if you want to let me have your e mail address, I'll forward the piece to you - mine is lwtnicoll at gmail.com. I'd certainly find e mailing easier at the moment. Try P&S for my original e mail, it explains a few things - if not, I can e mail you a copy.....Run out of space...Les

Edited by Keith Roberts
email address modified

To Charles Messenger

I've posted a number of e mails to you which apparently are not being accepted at your end - even as a 'Reply' to the e mail you sent me.

Can you confirm your e mail address please

Les Nicoll

Teddy Corrigan used to quote from Brass Hat in No Mans Land a lot on his tours in Thiepval Wood.

• 4 weeks later...

He is pictured (dated 1902) with one ribbon. Can anyone suggest what it is?

Mick

post-11859-0-96351300-1394181737_thumb.j

Mick

It is The Queen's Diamond Jubilee Medal of 1897, one of a number of medals to which Crozier's entitlement was questionable, to say the least.

Charles M

Thank you Charles, I wasn't sure, I thought it looked like the QSA at first but on reflection the Jubilee is a better fit.

David I think in the picture he looks as though he knows where he is going and how to get there.

SPOF

I have checked the roll and he is not on it. His possible grounds for wearing it are that he claimed to have been on route lining duties during the Jubilee procession. His Volunteer bn certainly provided a contingent for this. It is all in my biography of Crozier.

Charles M

Sorry to be a dissenter but I am sure that the medal ribbon IS a Queen's South Africa as the 1897 Jubilee Medal had prominent white stripes either side of a royal blue centre. This suggests to me that his embellishment of his medal entitlement started around/after 1902?

Medal_Diamond_Jubilee_Queen_Victoria.jpg