The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

British Military Trucks of World War One

Great War Truck

Over the last 12 Months I have been working on my book "British Military Trucks of World War One" and I am pleased to say that it has now been published by Tankograd publications. I was thrilled that Tankograd agreed to publish it as I rate their books very highly indeed.

IMG_3652_zpsf381d0f4.jpg

It is a hardback book with 200 pages and 396 black and white photographs of British Army trucks, tractors, steam wagons etc. My main reason for writing the book was that this was a subject not covered in anything but the most basic detail and it was the sort of book which I wanted to read.

There are some photographs of the inside pages on the Tankograd website if you would like to scroll down to the bottom:

http://www.tankograd.com/cms/website.php?id=/en/British-Military-Trucks-of-World-War-One.htm

You can get the book directly from Tankograd, but I see that several UK based military book dealers are advertising it.

Tim,

My copy arrived today, first impression fantastic, exactly what I have been looking for. I have truck photos from Salonika and now with the help of your book I should be able to identify the vehicle makes. Now I just have to figure out the numbering system!

Mark.

Thanks for the positive feedback there Mark. If you go to page 190 it should make the marking system a little clearer. The numbers issued in Salonika should run from 1 upwards to the low thousands. They will however duplicate those issued in other theatres which also started from 1. The Albion on page 40 is in Salonika but has a very high census number, which is rather odd. It might not have been changed if it was relocated from the Western Front. "The exception proves the rule". All part of the mystery.

Anyway, I do hope you enjoy the book.

Thanks

Tim

Tim,

I am researching an M.T. Company based in Salonika, in their war diary the lorry numbers are 3641 to 3647, at some point I plan to make a list of all the numbers in the diary, I am sure I read somewhere that the Royal Logistic Corps Museum has vehicle records in its archives, have you been there?

Tim,

I continue to be delighted with this book. I read the page on numbering, I had assumed that all vehicles would have a unique number, it must have caused problems when vehicles were moved to other fronts. I have also read the page about workshop trucks again very informative, I hadn't seen a description of the standard equipment before.

Mark.

Thanks again. The book has only been out a few weeks. I heard from the publisher on Friday that of the original 999 print run he has just 300 left in stock, although of course many of these will be with distributors.

I have not been to the Royal Logistics Corps museum, although I keep meaning to do so. Unfortunately there is no actual list of the vehicle registration numbers. There was a complete register during the war but I believe that has long since been destroyed.

With help from others I started compiling a list of all the census numbers which I came across. A similar list was started by Roy Larkin (author of the excellent "Destination Western Front" - "London Omnibuses go to war") who is a frequent visitor to the museum. He combined our list with one which he started which he has been adding to greatly. His list is based on the documents available at the museum and it now has nearly 12,000 numbers on it and is growing on a regular basis. I have just gone though his list and there are no numbers in the area of 3,641 to 3,647 but I suspect that he has not got to the relevant documents yet. it looks to be a life times work to complete it.

I cant remember your original post. Were 3,641 to 3,647 Peerless trucks?

• 2 months later...

Hi Tom. Great book! i know a lot about WW2 Trucks like the Bedford OYD. i do not know a lot about WW1 Trucks but now i have your book . it's one of the best books i have i may have over 200 books but i only have one about ww1 trucks. i only got it a day ago so have not had a lot of time to look at it. but i have seen a few photos i like in it [Page 133 Peerless on the Railway in Mespotamia i also love the photos in pages 21 147 & Thoronycroft AA gun trucks.i also have British Trucks in Wehrmacht service now that is my Best book. your book has a lot Tankers in that's one truck i do not know a lot about. you have publish one of the Best books i have got! i may only be age 18 but i love old Trucks....

from Andy