The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Pte A Kimber on SDGW

Guest Hangleton

Guest Hangleton

Hi all

Could someone look this man up please in SDGW. I would be interested to know his first name and where he lived. I have already looked on cwgc site. It is just part of a process of elimination, so I don't yet know if he is one of my ancestors.

I am hoping his first name is Alexander!

Or if there is any other "Alexander Kimber"...?

Thanks for your help, as always its appreciated

Hello there

The only Kimber for the whole of the London Regt is Pvt A Kimber and he is in the 7th battalion so he must be your man

The A is for Albert died 7.10.16 Enlisted at Sun Street resided Wandsworth Road SE Born in Clapham

Hope this helps

Hambo

Oh yes and his number is given as 350401, but being no expert on regimental numbers I can't explain why you have a different one

Hambo

Hello Hangleton!!!

This might not help, and you've probably already looked at the National Archive medal index site, but there is a Private Alexander C. Kimber listed there, of the London Regiment, and with the service numbers 7451 and 553809. (The 6 figure number is from the beginning of 1917 when territorials were renumbered.). I am very distantly related to a Kimber family - my Great Great Great Grandfather married a Mary Kimber in Berkshire in the 1830's or 40's. I havent researched that side of the family yet...

Hope this helps,

All the best,

Tony

Have you looked at the 1901 census? Just four "Alexander Kimber" recorded. Is one of these your man?

SN

Guest Hangleton

Hi again

Yes I have seen the 1901 census. He's there (Hampton Middx I think), what I am interested in is what happened to him, he was my gt grandads brother but no one remembers him, so at first I thought he must have been killed in WWI (I don't think so now). I know he was married in 1907 in Lewisham. I know about Alexander C Kimber too, I have downloaded the medal index card, but you see I am looking for an Alexander George and this one appears to be Alexander C. "My" Alexander would have been 35 when war broke out, probably a gardener. However I do know that not everyone received medals.

Lidzy - interesting you being related to the Kimbers. Mine are on the Wilts/Glos border in the early 19th century. Cirencester/Ashton Keynes.