The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

MGC

Sue Light

A local man, Samuel Watson died on the 1st July 1916. CWGC give his name and unit as:

S. M. Watson

Second Lieutenant

64th, Machine Gun Corps

I have never got to grips with the MGC, but as I'm just writing his page for my web site, I want to get it right. He was an officer in the 5th Battalion, Leinster Regiment, attached to 64th Infantry Brigade Machine Gun Company, so would this latter, and longer form be correct, or is the CWGC's briefer version right? I think [but will probably be corrected], that '64th Company, Machine Gun Corps' was a later form? Or was it earlier?

I've now confused myself even more!!

HELP! How do I address Sam Watson at the top of his page?

Sue

:blink:

Sue, your basic premise is right. He would be described as being in 64th Company, Machine Gun Corps. Strictly speaking this Company was formed (or thus numbered) on its arrival overseas in March 1916 when it found itself the Machine Gun Company of the 64th Infantry Brigade. In February 1918, it - and the other Brigade MGCoys in the 21st Division were formed into the 21st Battalion, Machine Gun Corps.

Due to the nature of recruitment into the comparatively new MGC, it often took a long time for an "attachment" to become a "transfer", often particularly with officers. I'm afraid your chap did not live long enough to have his papers thus effected. I've come across quite a few who continued with their original designation.

Julian

Julian

Thankyou. I think I've come to a conclusion - hopefully an accurate one. I've certainly decided to leave out the reference to the Leinster Regiment in the title, and just stick with the Machine Gun Corps.

Sue