The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Home of recovery Leicester

byott

Hello.

Could any one help with this please. Looking for information on a place named

( Home of recovery )

Upon Soar. Rothley Leicester.

Its some kind of nursing home or hospital for soldiers of world war one i think

Not sure if its some kind of Military hospital or not. How far out is leicester from london

Thank you Sandra

Not my part of the world but I can tell you that Leicester is about 90 miles NNW from London in a straight line. There is a place called Barrow upon Soar about 8 miles north of Leicester and you would have to pass Rothley on the way, so that is probably your location. Was there a WWI hospital there? I don't know but there is a long thread about hospitals here that you could look through. I have had a quick glance without success but might have missed it.

so that is probably your location. Was there a WWI hospital there? I don't know but there is a long thread about hospitals

Hi Clive.

Thanks for the link. Yes it was barrow upon soar. Thanks for the info. did not know that there was so many buildings turned into hospitals .

looks like they are going to get alot more hospitals listed so shall keep a look out for Leicester ones. Did not find the one i wanted.

Thank you sandra

Sandra

Try e-mailing the British Red Cross Archives in London as well. They have returns for 1916 and 1918 that list those hospitals run by Voluntary Aid Detachments. The information will typically tell you how many beds were there, how many patients passed through, cost per patient etc. There may also be additional information on your hospital stored in other BRC archive sources.

Paul