The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The War that ended Peace

Old Tom

I see that this large book - all 600 pages not including notes and indices - has had a number of mentions; I have not found any comment, other than on another web site/forum an indication that it is too long. My current reading is in the field of why the war started, including the long thread on the Sleepwalkers. So far I have only read the 18 odd page introduction to this book which seemed to me to be a masterly summary of the reasons for the war and introduces the interesting thought, why did war become more likely than peace? If I may quote three short sentences; what did the decision makers think thay were doing? Why did they not pull back this time as they had done before? Why, in other word, did peace fail?

I have an initial impression that the book may have something in common with Robert Massie's Dreadnaught.

It will be a while before it's finished.

Old Tom

Old Tom

As I commented on another thread, unless you have a lot of free time I look forward to your review around May!

I loved Massie's Dreadnought, it remains my favourite piece of narrative history, but I think he would be flattered to be compared to Professor MacMillan. She really is a good few notches up the historians' food chain and I think you will find it a more rigorously academic read. However the elegance of her prose and the power of her arguments mean that it might be a long haul but it is never a struggle.

I have always been fascinated by the causes of the war but I think after the combined 1300 pages of this and 'Sleepwalkers' I am finally sated. High time for a book on the BEF to cleanse the literary palette!

Good reading

David

ridgus comment : 'the elegance of her prose and the power of her arguments mean that it might be a long haul but it is never a struggle'.

Totally agree. Masterly story telling - a slow read but an easy read of what happened in the decades before 1914. I've always been hazy about the late 19th century wars and political ramifications, but I think I'm learning. Her comparsions to late twentieth century events are also enlightening and I'm only about 15% through the book.

Honora

It's on my 'to buy' list along with David Reynolds volume. After the (ouchingly) expensive academic books I need for other study. Met Professor MacMillan at the launch of her book on Nixon's visit to China (wherrrrrrr yes, it's a great wall...).

For a person with a brain the size of two planets, you would have to be to be warden of St Anthony's, she was charming and hilarious. Introduced me to her nephew. Another... historian. Sharp intake of breath... Dan Snow.

Close knit lot these historians. The lady contributed to the BBC's programme about the royal cousins a few days ago, but that was too shallow a skim of the subject for other than rather bland statements.

My reading of late has been in the field of the lead up to the war and the underlying reasons for it. A question that arises is how should one rate the various authors. Their intrepretations/opinions vary but are presumably based on the same sources; or are they!

Old Tom

• 1 month later...

According to the Times yesterday I am in good company as the Bishop of Lonon is reading it during Lent.

Old Tom

She gave a lecture at the University of Wolverhampton three weeks ago on the thrust of the book. I was next to a Professor from Wolverhampton who's a friend and my PhD supervisor was there as well. My Professor friend remarked that it was a good undergraduate level lecture for the causes of the outbreak.... Not having read the book yet, I was taken aback to hear that she thought of all the early signs of international law and organisations, and nascent globalisation, one organisation which could have prevented the war was the Second International... Hmm.

According to the Times yesterday I am in good company as the Bishop of Lonon is reading it during Lent.

Old Tom

Which makes it sound like a sort of literary hair shirt!

How is my estimate of 'around May' looking for your review Old Tom?

David

David,

Optimistic. I paused in order to read a couple of books obtained from the library on short loan, but have started again. She tells a good story, very easy to read.

Old Tom

I am about a third of the way through. Thoroughly enjoying it.

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of chapter near the middle are entitled 'thinking of war' and 'planning for war'. A fascinating account of the evolution of military thinking and planning in the years before 1914 including an excellent appreciation of the German General Staff and its Chiefs.

Old Tom

I'm just starting it. To judge by Old Tom's comment it is probably right to work through this before I move on to "The Great War Dawning". I found the author's book on Versailles really helpful, so I am looking forward to getting to grips with this work.

Keith

• 4 weeks later...

I have just finished Margaret MacMillan’s ‘The War that ended Peace’. A book of 600 pages supported by 10 pages of notes and a bibliography of some 200 works. It is a major contribution to the contentious question of how and why did the war start.

My prior reading of the subject included ‘Europe’s last summer’ by David Fromkin, ‘Dreadnaught’ by R.K. Massie, ‘The Pity of War’ by Niall Ferguson. and ‘The Sleepwalker’ by Christopher Clark. I conclude that this book is a fine account of the many events, treaties and ententes which lead to the Great War. The author, who is a warden of an Oxford College and a Professor of International History, relates the story from 1900 in 20 chapters. A few of the chapter headings may indicate her approach. Europe in 1900, Germany’s place on the world stage, Anglo-German naval rivalry, the dual alliance of Austria-Hungary and Germany, thinking about war and the plans, the crises Morocco and the Balkans, the last months of peace, and the end of the Concert of Europe.

She illustrates her account with many contemporary extracts about the main players and draws a number of parallels with more recent events. One can wonder at what might have been added about the Ukrainian situation.

I recommend this book to anyone wishing to have an understanding of the many and interrelated causes of the war and would suggest that it shows the inadequacy of pointing a finger in any one direction.

Old Tom

She illustrates her account with many contemporary extracts about the main players and draws a number of parallels with more recent events. One can wonder at what might have been added about the Ukrainian situation.

I recommend this book to anyone wishing to have an understanding of the many and interrelated causes of the war and would suggest that it shows the inadequacy of pointing a finger in any one direction.

Old Tom

Well played Old Tom, you beat the "middle of May" estimate by a full month!

I think your summary is bang on. I also think the order you read the other books in is to be recommended. Fromkin is something of a lightweight in the field but certainly paints the main characters with a broad brush. Dreadnought is brilliant narrative history and gives anyone who reads it a clear chronological grasp of the period. the Ferguson and the Clark books then give you a detailed academic view with a strong bias to which in my opinion MacMillan's book is a good antidote. As you rightly say an end to finger pointing.

David