The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Bargain Books? Surely some mistake.

paulgranger

I saw an interesting Twitter exchange last night. Someone I follow was very pleased to have found John Lewis-Stempel's 'The War Behind The Wire' , only just published, on sale at The Works for £4.99. There was some back and forth between other Tweeters, including the author, who was surprised at the news.

He came back into the conversation having spoken to the publisher to advise that the book shouldn't have been supplied to The Works, and all copies they had were being withdrawn toot sweet, and thanks for bringing this to his attention.

So, if you find a desirable newly published book in your local discount book emporium, at an unbelievably low price, grab it quick, as it probably shouldn't be there.

Too late...its on the shelf here at £4.99!

Bernard

I picked up a copy of this too. I couldn't believe it when I saw it, I thought it was too good to be true so I snapped it up quick.

Was in a 2nd hand store and was able to pick up a collection of Pre-WW1 and WW1 Official Regimental histories for less than 5 Pounds each......

M.

Edited by QSAMIKE

John Lewis-Stempel's 'The War Behind The Wire', still for sale in "The Works", Metro centre Gateshead, got a copy today for £4.99, they had approx a dozen copies on the shelves if you're in the area.

Allan

The paperback of 'Swansea Pals' was remaindered after being in print for about 7 years. The publisher told me it was happening and I was OK with it. In fact I'm not sure if I had any contractual power to stop it...but as I saw it as a natural progression I didn't bother checking.

Bernard

Remaindering I understand, but it's got to be pretty galling if your newly published book ends up in the bargain bin just after it gets to the shops.

I saw an interesting Twitter exchange last night. Someone I follow was very pleased to have found John Lewis-Stempel's 'The War Behind The Wire' , only just published, on sale at The Works for £4.99. There was some back and forth between other Tweeters, including the author, who was surprised at the news.

He came back into the conversation having spoken to the publisher to advise that the book shouldn't have been supplied to The Works, and all copies they had were being withdrawn toot sweet, and thanks for bringing this to his attention.

So, if you find a desirable newly published book in your local discount book emporium, at an unbelievably low price, grab it quick, as it probably shouldn't be there.

Well I'm glad to say the message from Works HQ had not reached the Reading branch so £4.99 it was. At this rate the book might make the best seller lists!

David

I picked up a copy of this book plus a signed copy of Paxman’s Great Britain’s Great War from Waterstones in Kendal last week. Total price for the two was £45.

However having a Waterstones loyalty card that racks up points with each purchase plus two full stamped cards from various purchases over the last year that equate to a £10 book or gift voucher each the total price I actually paid was £4.50.

My nearest Works is in Worcester and surrounded by flood waters at the moment if the BBC local news channel reporters are to be believed

It wasn't in the one in Hereford this morning but Saul David's 100 days to Victory was (which despite the title is not specifically about the 100 Days) was and down from £20 to under £5

Not present in The Works, Lewisham London SE13 this afternoon - but Saul David's 100 Days has reappeared at £6.99

Withdrawn from sale at meadowhall,sheffield.Found this out yesterday after I took a copy from the shelf and it came up on the till.

The staff then removed all copies from the front display shelf.

Got my reduced price copy in Cambridge on Sunday...... plenty of other copies there when I left the shop!

Now I just have to get it in the house without it being noticed..... not an easy task!

All of this points to a form of retail price maintenance which I thought was illegal under competition laws these days.

My nearest Works is in Worcester and surrounded by flood waters at the moment if the BBC local news channel reporters are to be believed

Well, Mr Hart's chapter on Jutland should be quite realistic.

Now I just have to get it in the house without it being noticed..... not an easy task!

I gave up being sneaky when my first shelf of books collapsed - my wife noticed just a little!

Please bear in mind that when copies are supplied to places like The Works and sold cheap the author gets no royalties. It's all well and good when the books have been out for a while and would not otherwise sell, but what has happened - as far as I can understand, and given the possibility that I may be wrong - is that the author has effectively been defrauded.

It's a hard life, writing, and one of the reasons that I never gave up the day job is that people often don't seem to understand that writers have to earn money somehow: we certainly don't get paid for the hours we put in: if we are lucky we get 10% of a book's retail price. Nobody in any other job would tolerate these appallingly low returns for hours and hours of work.

And Samuel Johnson said, "Nobody but a blockhead ever wrote except for money": so I can only suppose ... [QED]

Please bear in mind that when copies are supplied to places like The Works and sold cheap the author gets no royalties. It's all well and good when the books have been out for a while and would not otherwise sell, but what has happened - as far as I can understand, and given the possibility that I may be wrong - is that the author has effectively been defrauded.

It's a hard life, writing, and one of the reasons that I never gave up the day job is that people often don't seem to understand that writers have to earn money somehow: we certainly don't get paid for the hours we put in: if we are lucky we get 10% of a book's retail price. Nobody in any other job would tolerate these appallingly low returns for hours and hours of work.

And Samuel Johnson said, "Nobody but a blockhead ever wrote except for money": so I can only suppose ... [QED]

Presumably the publisher supplied them to The Works on agreed terms. Under competition rules a wholesaler, like a publisher, has no legal right to dictate the price that the retailer sells the product on at he makes his money out of the difference between his costs and the price paid to him by the retailer (simple Adam Smith economics) and part of his cost is the commission that he has agreed to pay the author