The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Bedford R. Pte 33755

Guest theresa_russell

Guest theresa_russell

Can anybody give me any further information on William J Fairy? His medal index card just records his Victory and British Medals on roll no K/2/104 B11 p.133

any information would be gratefully recieved

Thanks

Theresa

Soldiers Died gives the following:

Pte William John Fairey

Died of Wounds 05/09/1917

Born-Chelsea, Middlesex

Enlisted-Bedford

Residence-St Albans

Jim

Guest Ian Bowbrick

The medal rolls need to be translated to a WO 329 number at the PRO from which the medal roll can be accessed. Information on the Battalions he served will be on the roll.

Guest theresa_russell

Thanks for your help. This confirmsthat he wasn't a direct relative although still part of the family.

Another possibilty is William J Fairy - very difficult to read his medal index card - think it says reg. number G 18430- rank pte. Middlesex regiment.

Any chance you could tell me what happened to him?

Thanks

Theresa

Theresa,

Remember that MICs are not as accurate as people might think. If you are looking for William J Fairey he could be listed as just William.

There were(possibly still are) many of the Fairey name in the St Neots, Rushden and north Bedfordshire area. I have 3 listed as serving with the Bedfordshire Yeomanry including a William.

I think you will need to establish a place of residence around WW1 and then look at the options in terms of regiment.

Do you have any information that might help to nail things down a bit ?

All the best

David

Guest theresa_russell

David,

Thanks for your help. William Fairy born 1883 was resident in Horncastle Lincolnshire on the 1901 census and as far as i know he remained there until he died.

Thanks

Theresa

Theresa

The CWGC website gives the following info:

33755 Pte. William John Fairy, 1st Bn Bedfordshire Regt

Died 5/9/1917 aged 38

Husband of Harriett Fairy, of 15, Longnure Rd., St. Albans, Herts. Native of London.

Buried at Duisans British Cemetery, Etrun

Grave VI.C.54

Andy

Theresa,

Died after the war ?

Are you sure he served WW1 ? If he did, do you know if he went abroad ?

I don't think, but somebody may be able to confirm, that there is no voters list for Horncastle for WW1 (ring the Lincolnshire Records Office and they will tell you - will also let you know if they hold other records which might help you).

You may need to track down local records, newspapers etc to confirm WW1 service. An alternative would be a search through the service papers in WO 363/364 at the National Archives. Otherwise, it's a process of deduction along the lines that this thread has gone and hope that you eliminate all the possibles except 1 ! Certainly I can confirm that he isn't William Fairey of the Beds Yeomanry.

All the best

David