The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Books and magazines

frogy

Hi everyone I would like to start a collection of ww1 books and would like some recommendations, I would like to start with books dealing with personal memories of the people involved rather than general campaign books and especially books about the RFC as i've seen very few of them about.

Also on a slightly different question I know there are various monthly history magazines available which have articles at various times about ww1 but ive never seen a magazine devoted to it, there are quite a few devoted to ww2 but not ww1 so just wondered if anyone knew why?

Thanks.

Hi frogy. I'd recommend getting yourself a couple of good bibliographies. Noffsinger's 'World War 1 Aviation' & Lengel's 'World War 1 Memories' for a start.

The best magazine by far is "Stand To!" which is produced by the Western Front Association. You receive three copies per year as part of your subscription. That also brings three copies of the WFA's "Bulletin", which includes more Association news but also carries historical articles. All details at their website.

I would suggest that you approach things the other way. Depending on the extent of your knowledge, pick an area of interest more precisely, and find out what has been published about it - check here for reviews, then start to read - you will soon have a collection. The University of Birmingham has an on line document somewhere listing publications. Otherwise, be cautious about titles rushed out for the centenary - a few are well worth while, many are dross.

I can't comment on magazines - books cost me enough so I don't go there.

Keith

Thanks for the replies guys, yes ive been looking at the Western Front Association website and definitely going to join up and as for the centenary books, yes I certainly understand this, I was going to try and pick up some old books [when pennies allowed] my theory being books written in the years after the end of the war while the memories are still fresh might be better but of course will probably cost more. I know there's the well known auction site where books are available but could anyone recommend anywhere else to pick them up?

Thanks.

There are many sites for second hand books. Amazon and their alter ego ABE Books both sell many s/h books, but you need to know what you are looking for. Use the link at the top of the page please when shopping with either. Turner Donovan produce regular catalogues, and you might even try any remaining S/H bookshops in your area. Book Fairs are another good source, but not always the cheapest.

Keith

You asked for recommendations so here are a few of mine to kick-off with in no particular order. I personally find reading histories of the war heavy going but others may disagree.

Somme – Lyn Macdonald

They called it Passchendaele – same author

The Price of Glory (Verdun) – Alistair Horne

Some Desperate Glory – Edwin Champion Vaughan

Undertones of War – Edmund Blunden

Memoirs of an Infantry Officer – Siegfried Sassoon

Old Soldiers Never Die – Frank Richards DCM

The First Day in the Somme – Martin Middlebrook

Click here for some images of the books.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/glosters/sets/72157622921176714/detail/

Norman

Cecil Lewis 'Sagittarius Rising' & Victor Yeates 'Winged Victory' are 2 of the best flying books. If you want to see what these & thousands of other originals looked like might I modestly recommend my website below.

Cecil Lewis 'Sagittarius Rising' & Victor Yeates 'Winged Victory' are 2 of the best flying books. If you want to see what these & thousands of other originals looked like might I modestly recommend my website below.

His Desert Island Disc program is good too http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/features/desert-island-discs/castaway/a2b39632 He once came to Oundle when I was there.

I use to subscribe to the 'Great War Magazine ' published by Great Northern Publishing , it was very good , I've just googled it and it looks like it's still going.

Two or three good R.F.C memoirs = 'Sopwith Scout' by Sir Gordon Taylor, pub by Cassell in 1968 (bit pricey but worth looking for a cheap copy)

'No Parachute' by Arthur Lee, Jarrolds 1968 ( expensive as a 1st ed but has been reprinted)

'Flying Fury' by J.T.B McCudden , originally published in 1918 as '5 years in the R.F.C' ,he was one of our top 'aces' , it is widely available.

My favourite book on the R.F.C is the already mentioned 'Sagittarius Rising'.

Many of the books written shortly after the war have been republished and are reasonably priced.

I do agree that reading books written by the combatants themselves at the time or shortly afterwards reveal much more about how they felt.

Dave

Again thanks for all your suggestions guys. Ive actually just been offered 17 VOLUMES "THE GREAT WAR, A HISTORY" GRESHAM 1916 for £22 by someone local, haven't seen them yet but apparently not in the best of condition but my question is, is this a good buy?

Thanks again.

Many of us, I suspect, kick started our interest with such publications.They are not rare and about £20 doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

Frogy,

My favourite RFC book is 'The Wind In The Wires' by Grinnell-Milne. You might like 'Fighter Pilot' by McScotch also.

Regards

Other Ranker

Frogy,

I too would highly recommend joining the Western Front Association.

I am an addict of WW1 memoirs and autobiographies, particularly ones written during or just after the war before memories became clouded with the politics and nonsense of the 1930s. A year ago I started a thread asking for recommendations for such autobiographies, which can be seen here.

William

• Admin

Cross & Cockade is a good site to visit. It seems to be an American site dedicated to First World War aviation.

Just for the sake of accuracy Cross and Cockade is a UK based group of WW1 aviation historians/enthusiasts with many overseas members

As to the OP why not look in the virtual library section of the forum where you can download many free books

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showforum=14

Join your local library/check out second hand/oxfam bookshops/search Amazon. There are many accessible titles and you will soon find a style you like.

Unfortunately as a historian of the war noted 'although there is a wealth of technical literature on the war in the air there are few books of worth on the air fighting'. I guess the pilots were more technical than poetic out of necessity and of course their survival rate was not that good!

Ken

Another vote for the WFA and Stand To!. They do compilations of previous issues which are an excellent source of information.

Also, as previously mentioned, Turner Donovan is a good place for second hand books and Naval and Military Press have a large section on Memoirs, Biographies & Diaries.

Thanks again everyone. Yes im definitely going to join the Western Front Association, I think they have a branch here in Norwich but cant find any info about meetings etc, will probably find that out when I join.

• Admin

The WFA tend to be organised on a County rather than City basis so you want the Norfolk and Waveney Branch

I've no idea how active they are no events are listed on the WFA website but contact details in 2012 are here

http://infolink.suffolk.gov.uk/kb5/suffolk/infolink/organisation.page?id=7_2yux7El-8

and they show they meet First Tuesday of the month. Perhaps a post in chit-chat will bring a response from a Norfolk member who will be able to introduce you.

Ken