The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Ibbotson, Stannington, Sheffield

smiths565

I am researching the names on our war memorial and I have managed to identify most of the people listed. There is another plaque inside the local church, but this includes an extra name - 'A IBBOTSON'

To be on the war memorial they would have to be born or living in the Stannington area, in the parish of Bradfield, Sheffield.

Can anybody help to identify him. Also any ideas why he wasn't included on the war memorial (outside). I do know that the war memorial was erected in 1920 and it does include names of people who died in 1919. I don't know when the plaque in the church was put up.

Thanks in advance :rolleyes:

From SDGW:-

L/Cpl Alwyn Ibbotson, 12491, 12th Bn, Prince of wales Own (West Yorkshire) Regiment.

Died of wounds, 19/7/16

Born Bradfield

Enlisted Sheffield

CWGC shows him buried at Corbie

Cor blimey, though. You must be well chuffed to have now identified 100%. I'm still 3 or 4 short.

John

No luck as yet with the 1901 census, but I have found a birth registered in Quarter 3/1892 in Wortley, Yorkshire (which includes Bradfield) for Alwyn Ibbotson.

SN

Guest Hangleton

On the 1901 census

"A Ibbotson - age 8 - born Wardsley Yorks - residing Sheffield.

I haven't any credits left at present so I will have to leave it at that!

Thanks everybody - I thought it could be Alwyn.

Cor blimey, though. You must be well chuffed to have now identified 100%. I'm still 3 or 4 short.

Not quite John - I've got a FRED SMITH. with nothing but his name.

Not quite John - I've got a FRED SMITH. with nothing but his name.

Ahha.

Let us know when you've pinpointed your man. I hope that you have many years life left in you. :D

May the force be with you

John

Hello,

I have an original copy of "Roll Of Honour of Sheffield Men who fell or died of wounds in the great war 1914-1918". This was issued in 1921 and copies were available for anyone wishing to get one. It lists every soldier that died who lived in sheffield and surrounding area (Stannington, Bradfielf etc). There is no A Ibbotson listed.

I live at Hillsborough, if you wish to see the Roll of Honour send me a PM and we can arrange it.

Glynn.

Also i forgot to mention, that Bradfield have open days for the public to access their records. If you contact the St Nicholas Church in Bradfield, i am sure that they will let you know the next date for the open day.

Glynn.