The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Second Lieut Harry Dale

Guest Simon Bull

Guest Simon Bull

Second Lieutenant Harry Dale was the officer commanding my grandfather's tank when my grandfather was taken prisoner in 1918. Sadly, Harry Dale was killed and is now buried, close to where he died, at Crucifix Corner Cemetery, Villers Bretonneux.

Harry Dale had started out as a private soldier in the cavalry. He had then obtained a commission and later been transferred to the Tank Corps. I have seen his officer's records and they contain none of the records which I would normally expect to find in relation to a private soldier. Indeed, in effect, they only begin (save for brief references to his having been a private soldier) at the time at which he becomes an officer.

Is it likely that there was retained a separate file relating to the period when he was a private soldier?

I think this is the MIC for this man

http://www.documentsonline.nationalarchive...&resultcount=74

as he was commissioned a new file would be opened for his officers docs as he had been discharged from the ranks

All The Best

Chris

Guest Simon Bull

This is indeed his MIC. Thanks Chris.

I shall have to have a look for his private soldier records the next time I am at the NA - he had a most interesting history, having emigrated to the USA before the War and come back to join up.

Thanks for the help.

Simon Bull

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Simon,

Having reseaerched a few rankers in my time - try tying that after a couple of rums - I have always found their original attestation documents in their W) 339/374 files. For example 2/Lt Eric Poole who was executed, was promoted from the ranks and his original attestion form is to be found in his service record. I suspect the indiscriminate weeding of files may have applied to your man. :(

Ian

Guest Simon Bull

Thanks Ian.

I do not suppose that I shall have the time to visit the National Archives for some time. But when I do I shall have a look for Harry Dale's record as a private soldier (if they survive) and add the outcome to this thread.

Regards,

Simon Bull