The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Struggling to find an RMLI/RMA man

wellsms

Hi,

I have recently asked a researcher to look for the service record and medal roll of a man previously identified as RMLI or RMA.

He started searching the medal rolls and drew a blank on RM NCOs and Men and RN ratings and hasn't searched for the service record, wanting to check first that I was confident of the name which I am.

I think that the serviceman joined no earlier than 1915 - I have a picture of him with a 1915 On War Service badge so at some point during the year he hadn't joined up.

He is also missing from the 1918 Accrington Absent Voters List, and I'm 100% confident he lived in Accrington.

My father said that he had a missing thumb.

If he lost his thumb during training and was discharged without overseas service am I right to assume that no medals would be due - this was the case with my great grandfather (RAMC)

I think it's worth looking for them, with the expectation that he will have been discharged possibly during training, but certainly before going overseas.

Does this seem reasonable?

cheers

Mike

I know the Navy awarded the BWM for all who served 28 days' plus, even if they

never left their country of residence (in contrast to the Army).

However:

i) Did the same rules apply to the Marines (being under the auspices of the Navy I would assume so)?

ii) Did time spent in basic training count (again, I would assume so as in WW2).

iii) Did he serve for at least a calendar month?

iv) Could it be an administrative oversight leading to a non-issue, particularly since he may have been a borderline case?

His service records should be easy to find and that should answer some of your questions as to his length and type of service.

Nothing definite, I'm afraid, but does give some options to explore.

Richard