The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Wipers Times

Granton Chaz

Yes it was excellent. I expect it will be repeated as the Centenary gets nearer

David

Edit: Just seen it on Amazon for under £9. A steal

Just finished the book. I missed the TV programme with Michael Palin. Was it any good

Chaz, I thought it was brilliant personally, having loved the papers it really came alive for me. The two leads were outstanding. Not everyone was so convinced; the review thread is here. Some of it is almost as entertaining as the programme.

Pete.

Chaz, I thought it was brilliant personally, having loved the papers it really came alive for me. The two leads were outstanding. Not everyone was so convinced; the review thread is here. Some of it is almost as entertaining as the programme.

Pete.

Thanks for the link Pete. That's an annoying miss for me I would have loved to contribute to that thread. It thought it interesting that all the initial comments in the wake of the first broadcast were positive. When the forumites were just responding to a really good bit of TV about something they love the immediate emotional reaction was positive. It was only when folk started to sit back and think about it that the old nerd gene asserted itself and there was talk of collar badges and the wrong type of printing press (the wrong type of type even!)

I'm just as prone to this as any of us (I ruined the first half of Warhorse for my family in the cinema with my sighs, tuts and raised eyebrows, but after all the number of German machine guns, hello!) but it was a bit of a shame. Sometimes we do just have to lift are heads up and be thankful for the amount of coverage our shared passion gets

David

I thought that the BBC TV Wipers Times was just wonderful, and indeed I have been pleasantly surprised by all of the BBC's WW1 programs so far.

As far as the book Wipers Times goes, as my knowledge of WW1 increases (thanks in no small part to this wonderful forum), every time I go back to it I find that I understand more and more references, and get more jokes. I often find myself chuckling at daft phrases which have stuck in my mind..... "Soon will come the snow and sleet, that's the stuff to spoil your feet, If you do not want to die, you must wear our gumboots thigh!"

William

I was only yesterday sat inside the Case Mates bar drinking wait for it.....Wipers Times beer and not bad it is too!!

Apart from the bar, there is a function room for hire and a superb education room which will take you through a journey of time from when Ypres was a simple farmer 1 cow farm right up to today. Am well impressed especially with the Wipers Times beer! :thumbsup:

I thought that the BBC TV Wipers Times was just wonderful, and indeed I have been pleasantly surprised by all of the BBC's WW1 programs so far.

As far as the book Wipers Times goes, as my knowledge of WW1 increases (thanks in no small part to this wonderful forum), every time I go back to it I find that I understand more and more references, and get more jokes. I often find myself chuckling at daft phrases which have stuck in my mind..... "Soon will come the snow and sleet, that's the stuff to spoil your feet, If you do not want to die, you must wear our gumboots thigh!"

William

William, somewhere in the old thread there is a reference to a companion to the Wipers Times which explains a lot of the references; I must get hold of it sometime. It's the advertisments that crack me up, I couldn't resist putting a reference to the combined gas mask and mouth organ in Simon's otherwise excellent post on Mustard Gas. I am in full accord with you about the BBC's coverage so far too.

Pete.

• 2 months later...