The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

From Boer War to World War

Old Tom

This excellent book gets a mention in a thread about 'Stemming the Tide', but I can find no other mention. To my mind it is one of, if not the most, interesting works on the British regular army prior to WW1. It deals with general matters and then looks at infantry, artillery and cavalry in detail. In each case relating the lessons from the Boer war to the performance of the BEF in 1914. Covering issues such a dispersion v mass, assaulting an entrenched position, the value of howitzers and shrapnel v HE. It also describes the shortcomings of a newly created general staff and the lack of agreed and widely understood doctrine.

It has improved my understanding of the problems of the training of the 'New Armies' following the loss of the greater part of the regualr army.

I strongly recommend it .

Old Tom

I concur. A fascinating read. I started with this work as an introduction to my readings on the BEF in 1914. As a result, it gave me a better understanding of the tactics the BEF used once engaged in the first few months.

I particularly found it interesting in regards to Officers and NCO's and the need for them to take the initiative. This was something I assumed would have been taught for sometime, however, as described in the book, there were numerous occasions during the Boer War where a platoon or company had lost their CO, and no one to step in and fill the void; continuing the attack ect.

Also I had always believed that the BEF contained many more veterans of the Boer War within its ranks than it actually did. In reality the majority of the full time regulars had only served two to three years in 1914.

I came across this lecture by the author. It's titled: The Artillery Must Willingly Sacrifice Itself: Royal Artillery Tactics 1902 - 1914

Jamie

This excellent book gets a mention in a thread about 'Stemming the Tide', but I can find no other mention.

Actually you'll find I have quoted it in another thread about extensions (which it explains) but I'd certainly agree about its value.

I came across this lecture by the author. It's titled: The Artillery Must Willingly Sacrifice Itself: Royal Artillery Tactics 1902 - 1914

Jamie

Thank you for posting this Jamie. My daughter was taught by Dr Jones at Birmingham a few years ago and really loved his lectures and tutorials. I can see why

David

No problem ridgus.

There is another one somewhere on the internet taken from a WFA conference. If I find it then i'll post it.

Jamie

In fact, here it is. Titled:

Readying the Rapier: The British Army in 1913.

Thank you Jamie, I appreciate you taking the time to find this for me

David

• 4 months later...
Guest cockneyjock

Dr Jones ran the first year of my MA at Birmingham prior to moving to Wolverhampton university, he is a cracking speaker and both this book and 'Stemming the tide' are excellent books for both the academic and those with a genuine interest in the development of the British army up to and at the start of the war in 1914.

Should be read in conjunction with "The Edwardian Army by Bowman and Connelly which covers the British Army from 1902 - 1914 and gives the wider picture (recruitment organisation, the officer corps etc)

I read this book when I was researching a man who had fought in the 2nd Anglo Boer War before enlisting again for service in the Great War. I was particularly interested in how the army had undergone such vast and important tactical reforms in the years between the end of the Boer War and the outbreak of the Great War and hadn't known how much the struggle in South Africa had provided the key impetus in undertaking such a thorough overhaul of the British Army in the years following that conflict. Great book by Spencer Jones, well written and very interesting.

Anne

I read this book when I was researching a man who had fought in the 2nd Anglo Boer War before enlisting again for service in the Great War. I was particularly interested in how the army had undergone such vast and important tactical reforms in the years between the end of the Boer War and the outbreak of the Great War and hadn't known how much the struggle in South Africa had provided the key impetus in undertaking such a thorough overhaul of the British Army in the years following that conflict. Great book by Spencer Jones, well written and very interesting.

Anne

The Edwardian Army does paint a more subtle picture and, although the changes were significant, suggests that they were not so vast and completely adopted throughout the army as Jone's book might have one believe

• 1 month later...

I was about to post a thread on this book....glad to see it has already been discussed. On order. Any (more) thoughts would be welcome. MG