The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Cambridgeshire Regiment

chrisharley9

I have seen this Regiment as being refered to as part of the Special Reserve. What was the Special Reserve - I know in this instance that this does not refer to Special Reserve Of Officers. How did the Special Reserve differ from the TF

All The Best

Chris

Cambridgeshires were TF.

TF created 1908 primarily for Home defence and very much part-timers. Socially inferior in the eyes of:

SR, which was created 1908 to provide a trained reserve to use AS DRAFTS for reinforcement because regular army expected 80% casualties [from all causes] in first year of a European War. SR battalions numbered 3 if the regiment had two regular battalions. Some regiments also raised an extra reserve, same terms and conditions but deployable as a fighting unit. SR were officered by a few regulars and mostly SR of Officers. All were trained at least 6 months initially and so were distinctly useful as soldiers. On declaration of war, SR automatically absorbed all recalled reservists and unfit, untrained and under-age regulars.

A regular officer or NCO was automatically senior to SR equivalent, who in turn was automatically senior to TF. This distinction was later removed.

Many Thanks

All The Best

Chris

Do you possibly mean National Reserve,of which Cambridgeshire had Reservists,who wore the Blue Enamel & Gilt Lapel Badge in civvies,until they were called up for service;I'll post a badge later.

Langley

In peacetime who were the men who would have been in the SR - what was their committment, training etc - many thanks for the other info

Do you possibly mean National Reserve,of which Cambridgeshire had Reservists,who wore the Blue Enamel & Gilt Lapel Badge in civvies,until they were called up for service;I'll post a badge later

Ive never heard of that one - more info would be appreciated please

All The Best

Chris

Chris. For many young men the SR was an attractive way of sucking and seeing without seven years with the colours. Recruitable at 17 years, initial commitment to 5 months continuous training and 27 days a year, same pay as a regular for every day in uniform, total obligation to serve anywhere in war, six years the initial hitch. Bounties totalling £4 per year were paid. Civil servants, apprentices, criminals and foreigners were excluded. Wastage rate in peace was very high: a huge turnover.

Many, many thanks for that - another part of the puzzle that I now understand

All The Best

Chris

A Selection of Veteran Reserve & National Reserve Lapel Badges

post-2-1097171988.jpg

Thanks Harry - very nice little collection there

All The Best

Chris

Cambridgeshire National Reserve::

post-2-1097172116.jpg