The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

South Staffs regiment

jayne w

Hello,

I'm new to family research and am also interested in the Great War. I am trying to find out a little about my great uncle who according to his medal records which I downloaded from the National Archives documents online served in this regiment. His name was Robert Colley and his service number was 14902, he also served in the Leics regiment service number 59036. His records do not tell me much other than he was entered in the medal roll on 24.8.15. He was awarded the three service medals - is it PIP, Sqeak & Wilfrid? he was born in Burton upon Trent but subsequently lived in Lichfield. Would he have volunteered or been conscripted?

I would like to find out where he served in France and any other information anyone can help me with.

Thanks for any help you can give me

Jayne

Jayne

Welcome to the forum.

Try here http://www.1914-1918.net/ the Long Long Trail the mother site,it will give you loads of info on researching your great Uncle.

Looking at the info you have given he served initially with the 9th Battalion South Staffordshire Regiment 23rd Division see here http://www.1914-1918.net/23div.htm

The date you have given is the date that the Division entered the theatre of war.

Regards Doug.

Doug,

Thanks for your help and the links you kindly provided. Could you tell me what a Pioneer Battalion was? Following the links you gave me I have discovered that the 9th battalion became a pioneer batalion.

Thanks again

Jayne

Jayne

In general terms although I'm sure someone will give a better explanation they

combined the duties of trench digging,mining,repairing roads,with fighting. More like a fighting construction company.

I have the history of the South Staffordshire Regiment,if you would like to know more specific information on the 9th Btn let me know.

Regards Doug

From The Long, Long Trail: "An early solution to the vast demand for labour was to create in each infantry Division a battalion that would be trained and capable of fighting as infantry, but that would normally be engaged on labouring work. They were given the name of Pioneers. They differed from normal infantry in that they would be composed of a mixture of men who were experienced with picks and shovels (i.e. miners, road men, etc) and some who had skilled trades (smiths, carpenters, joiners, bricklayers, masons, tinsmiths, engine drivers and fitters). A Pioneer battalion would also carry a range of technical stores that infantry would not. This type of battalion came into being with an Army Order in December 1914".