The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

A Sunny August Bank Holiday to a Wet Easter (RMLI 1914-16)

Pompey

Hi,

I would be grateful to anyone who would kindly review this book. I have plenty of opinions from friends and family, but it would be nice to have some comments from outside this circle. I don't mind good or bad as I am in the process of writing the follow up and all will help!

Thanking you for your comments

best regards

Pompey

A Sunny August Bank Holiday to a Wet Easter is a semi-fictional story, written as the diary, of my grandfather Raymond Loveridge’s experiences in the Royal Marine Light Infantry (RMLI) from the outbreak of World War One and the defence of Antwerp to the Easter Uprising in Ireland via the campaign in the Dardanelles. It also covers his meeting and letters home to Lily Wray, the love of his life, whom he married in 1916

The actions all took place and Ray was there along with all the named characters serving with the Portsmouth Battalion of the RMLI. The dates and events are taken from their service records along with available historical documents. Ray’s attitude changes over time from a jingoistic naive Marine to a disillusioned veteran as his comrades are slowly whittled away by enemy action and disease. He is also left pondering about God and if life is predetermined or is it just pure good luck to survive, where so many others have died.

The book is available on www.Amazon.co.uk and www.Lulu.com (ISBN 978-1-291-71762-4)

The books front cover post-96382-0-84416600-1392998948_thumb.j

The books back cover blurb post-96382-0-98184700-1392998960_thumb.j

Congrats on the book Pompey. You may be interested in the thread nearby on 4 Battalion AIF and RMLI concerning the actions at Wire Gully on 1/2 May 1915 at Anzac, where Walter Parker RMLI won his VC. Somewhat controversial it seems, but I think a damn good read. It is both praising and a little critical of the RMLI in this action, but I believe is well researched and balanced. Certainly goes into great detail on the action that was skimmed over in the Australian Official History. Parker's VC was the first awarded for ops at Anzac. Albert Jacka of the AIF being a couple of weeks later at nearby Courtney's Post.

Hope your book goes well.

Ian

Hi Ian,

I am definitely going to get Jack's Journey, as I agree that Bean’s view of the Gallipoli campaign are biased towards certain battalions that fought at ANZAC especially that of the RMLI. I found that when I was researching for A Sunny August Bank Holiday to a Wet Easter that there are not many books that take into account Portsmouth Battalion RMLI participation in World War 1. Even Britain’s Sea Soldiers or On Four Fronts with the RND did not go into great detail. The RMLI lost Platoon with Lt Empson and Alcock along with the 4th Battalion Australian Infantry involvement is one particular incident that Bean almost totally ignores, but it resulted in a much deserved, if belated, VC for Walter Parker. It is unfortunate that Portsmouth Battalion’s War Diary does not exist and only the Brigade Diaries gives any accounts of the day to day actions the battalion was involved in.

Thanks for the best wishes as it is to see my Mum's jaw drop when she saw her dad's photo on the back of the book made it all worthwhile. I forgot to mention that the book is available in most countries in Kindle £2.96 on Amazon and paperback £11.99 ($25.46AUD) on Lulu and Amazon soon.

Regards

Pompey

Hi Pompey

It would be interesting to know if your g/father was involved in the fighting at the outposts in Death Trap Valley or nearby. I think you will enjoy Kit Cullen's book as it is far more comprehensive on this action than Bean's OH. 4Bn AIF suffered in the region of 80 killed and wounded in their attempts to assist the isolated Marine party. As I have already mentioned on another thread on Cullen's book, a VC action in which there was some great bravery exhibited by all combatants has been finally more comprehensively told.

I am not normally a fiction reader, even if based on fact, but I will try to source your book and have a read. Once again, congrats and hope it goes well. Quite a journey you must have been on until publication!

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ian,

I did not have much information on my Grandfather's life, like many of his generation he did not talk too much about his time in World War 1. Even my mum the fifteenth of his sixteen children did not have that many deep conversations with him. It was not until the last few weeks of his life that she sat with him and I suppose really got to know the man behind her father.

From my research I do know that he was in Lt Empson's company and landed at ANZAC on 28 Apr 1915 and stayed with Portsmouth Battalion / 2nd RM Battalion until 20 Dec 1915 when he was evacuated to Mudros. By then there was less then a hundred men left in the battalion who had served in Belgium, just over one year earlier. My visits to the National Archives and reading the diaries, notes, reports and holding the maps used helped to make a real connection to the events he was involved in and was an emotional roller coaster of a ride. It was especially difficult finding men for his close friends in the book, who were lucky to survive long enough to get to Ireland. I looked at all the men who had service numbers close to his and joined the Battalion on its formation, unfortunately most of them were killed on the peninsula in 1915 or taken as POWs at Moerbeke in Oct 1914.

Thanks for the heads up on Kit Cullen's book another to add to my list to get for my spring / summer reading.

Best regards

Pompey

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

just an update on how the promotional weekend went. The kindle version to my amazement broke into the Top Ten on Amazon with copies also going out from Brazil, Germany and India ! It made my day that my grandfather and his comrades deeds are not being forgotten and those that fell are being read about. The follow up book 'A Tragic Summer to a Hopeful Spring' (RMLI May 1916 to Feb 1918) is starting to fill out with research in full flow.

Best regards

Pompey

ps. Below in italics is my publishers press release along with a picture of the Amazon position.

The heart-breaking diaries of a World War 1 Marine have become a Top 10 success on Amazon, the world’s biggest selling bookshop.
Partly based on true events, A Sunny August Bank Holiday To A Wet Easter takes readers on a remarkable journey of bravery, bloodshed and true love for one young serviceman almost exactly 100 years ago.
Written by keen historian Terry (TJ) Budd, the book brings to life the experiences of his grandfather Raymond Loveridge of the Portsmouth Battalion of the Royal Marine Light Infantry (RMLI).
The book details the marine’s experiences from the outbreak of war in 1914 and the defence of Antwerp to the Easter Uprising in Ireland via the fighting at Gallipoli.
The events all took place and Ray was there along with comrades of Portsmouth Battalion of the RMLI.
The book also covers his fictional letters home from Gallipoli to his family and to the parents of his dead comrades, but mostly to Lily Wray the love of his life whom he married in 1916.
Writer Terry said: “Ray Loveridge was aged 21 in 1914 and was the oldest of the group of pre-war recruits finishing their year-long training as war was declared.
“Ray’s attitude changes as do all of his friends over time from jingoistic naive Marines in August 1914 to disillusioned Gallipoli veterans by mid-1915. “As his comrades are slowly whittled away by enemy action and disease, he is left pondering if God exists and if life is predetermined, or is it just pure good luck to survive the fighting where so many others have died.
“My grandfather was a bit of an enigma having served from beginning to end in both World Wars and allegedly in between terms of enlistment fought against Franco in the Spanish Civil War.”
Terry’s book has also enjoyed rave reviews with one critic writing, ‘This was a book I could not put down, it gave a vivid picture of actually being there in the trenches’.
A Sunny August Bank Holiday To A Wet Easter is available both in paperback and in Kindle format and can be found by visiting Amazon and searching for ‘TJ Budd’.
It was the Kindle version of Terry’s book that achieved a number 7 place with the War genre

post-96382-0-21951700-1399711128_thumb.j

• 2 months later...

Hi,

The kindle version of 'A Sunny August Bank Holiday to A Wet Easter' is on special offer on Amazon, reduced from its normal price of £2.96 to £0.99 for the week 1 August to 8 August 2014.

Regards

Pompey

• 3 months later...

Hi,

The General Court of Inquiry to investigate the action at Moerbeke were several hundred men of the RND were taken prisoners by the Germans started this week a hundred years ago.

The Court of Inquiry at Forton Barracks on 24 November 1914 was convened by order of Gen Sir W. Nicholls the Adjutant-General of the RM and the opening statement was given by General Paris as shown below:
“The Royal Marine Brigade, less the Rearguard of Portsmouth Battalion crossed the river in good order by the upper bridge about10pm along with the 2nd Naval Brigade Drake Battalion of the 1st Naval Brigade used the town bridge and reached Zwyndrecht about 11.30pm, where it was reported to me that the three brigades were now present. In fact contrary to the information I had received, apart from Drake Battalion the rest of 1st Naval Brigade were missing and their absence was overlooked in the confusion of the night withdrawal. After an hour's halt the division made its way to Beveren Waes and finding no trains there continued on towards St. Nicolas. At 2.30am on arriving at St. Nicolas I received a message that trains were now waiting for us at St. Gilles Waes a further six miles to the north and that the enemy was to the south west at Lokeren. There was no course left to me but to turn the division northwards at once. The march by cross- country lanes was exceedingly trying in thdark, with the press of troops, refugees, and vehicles causing constant halts and stoppages and slowed the pace to no more than a mile an hour. The first troops arrived at St. Gilles Waes at first light on 9 October. I ordered motor omnibuses to be sent back to pick u stragglers. All eight battalions present were despatched westwards to Ostend, the last train leaving at 9am. This left Portsmouth Battalion, RMLI and the three missing battalions of the 1st Naval Brigade to be accounted for.”
In 'A Sunny August Bank Holiday to a Wet Easter' is a fairly detailed account of the Inquiry taken from the papers and the hand written reports of the witnesses held at the NA.
Regards
Pompey

Hi Pompey

As I'm interested in researching RMLI men and their medals I purchased your book. A poignant read I must say, it was a shame it ended in 1916 and I wondered if there was more. You have confirmed that there is and I look forward to 1916 to 1918. Will there be another to cover post Feb 1918 and further?

The reason I've asked is that my Grandfather was also in the RMLI. Pte A.V.Pottinger po17989, served on HMS Espiegle during WW1. However during WW2 my Grandfather was called up to man the anti-aircraft guns at HMS Dolphin just across the harbour from Portsmouth from Aug 1939 to 1942. Later on he served at HMS Royal Arthur Nov 1942 - Sept 1944 a training establishment I think. By coincidence your Grandfather Ray Loveridge also served at Dolphin and Royal Arthur at the same time, they almost certainly would have known each other. Any thoughts?

Ernie

Hi Ernie,

Glad you liked the book and yes I am planning a third book covering from March 1918 to the end of the war and including the actions of the battalion in Russia in 1919. I have just about got the bones of the second book in place from the brigade war diaries and I am now researching individual Marines to include. A hard job as in my opinion they all deserve to be mentioned !

I would say as they were both old Marines our grandfathers would have certainly known each other and as the moved about the same time from Dolphin to the shore base Royal Arthur they would have been friends.. It is a shame they are not around to ask to find out for certain.

Best Regards

Pompey

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

I would just like to give another big thank you to David Filsell for reviewing my book for the forum and Stand To! For those of you who would like to see David's review on this site it is available on this forum under the topic 'A Novel Diary'.

Regards

Pompey

• 1 year later...

Hi Terry,

I found this forum through an RMLI google search.  I have purchased your book online and am anxious to receive it. Our grandfathers share a similar war past. My grandfather was Pte David McKinnon PO 17577. He served in the RMLI and miraculously survived from Antwerp and Gallipoli, and up the Western Front through the Ancre, the capture of the Gavrelle windmill and Passchendaele, where he was injured enough to be sent back to the UK. I am still trying to fully decipher his service record, but I believe he spent most of 1918 on The Duke of Clarence, and then finished out back with Portsmouth Division. until the battalion was disbanded.

Cheers,

Ken

• 8 months later...

Hi Ken,

Sorry for the delay in the response but we have moved house / country and as you can imagine it has taken us a few months to get things sorted ! I hope you got the book ok and I hope that you found it interesting and it helped with your grandfathers record.  Did you get his complete record or just the basic paperwork?

Best regards

Terry