The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Old Soldier

Guest redrum

I think I am right that the oldest serving soldier in the British Army of this war was killed on the Somme at age 70. His head stone states his age. I think he enlisted aged 68. Please correct me if I am wrong anyone.

Marc

I think this is the chap you mean..

Name: WEBBER, HENRY

Initials: H

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: South Lancashire Regiment

Unit Text: 7th Bn.

Date of Death: 21/07/1916

Additional information: Son of William Webber, M.D., and Eliza Webber (nee Preston); husband of the late Emily Webber (nee Morris). Native of Horley, Surrey. For over 40 years a member of the London Stock Exchange. Henry Webber is the oldest known battle death recorded for the First World War.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: I. E. 54.

Cemetery: DARTMOOR CEMETERY, BECORDEL-BECOURT

There were older men who have official war graves but they did not die in battle.

Webber was a pre-war regular who came back to help out in 1914. He was the battn transport officer and it was in this role that he managed to blag his way to France. Both his sons were serving officers and he took great pleasure in saluting them when they met - one was a capt and the other a major, I think. Henry was killed by a shell when at the forward transport lines on the evening of 21/7/16.

I don't know if anyone has a picture to post or anymore information on his sons?

From Birmingham University website

"No103: 'Squib' Webber

Brigadier-General Norman William Webber (1881-1950) was a sapper who spent most of the war in staff positions, including periods as BGGS GHQ, BGGS Fifth Army and BGGS Canadian Corps in 1918. His father, Lieutenant Henry Webber (7th Battalion South Lancashire Regiment), a London stockbroker, was killed in action on the Somme on 21 July 1916 at the age of 68, the oldest recorded battle death of the Great War"

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Martin Middlebrook's book on the first day of the Somme has some very interesting information on Henry Webber, the most amusing of which is the fact that he had to salute his sons!!

Martin Middlebrook's book on the first day of the Somme has some very interesting information on Henry Webber, the most amusing of which is the fact that he had to salute his sons!!

But did subalterns salute captains? They certainly did not call them sir, did they?

I once owned the 1914-15 star trio (mint in boxes of issue) to Pte / 2.Lt James Green of the 7th Bn South Lancashire Regiment who was KIA on the same day as Henry Webber and is buried in the same cemetery. They are not side-by-side, their respective plots being 1.E. 54 and 1.D 50, but close. I never got round to researching them as they were one of my early extravangances, so still don't know if he was killed by the same shell as Lt. Webber. I wonder if a South Lancs expert could answer that for me? I still kick myself! Ah, if only.....

Don't suppose a pal has them now?

Regards

Steve

Marc

You're correct. Sergeant George Lee and his son Robert lie in plots 1.A.35 and 1.A.36 in Dartmoor cemetery.

They were both KIA on 5th September 1916.

SN