The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Hundred Days Offensive?

jp1885

Winning and Losing on the Western Front.

The British Third Army and the Defeat of Germany in 1918

by Dr. Jonathan Boff

Outrageously priced, but - from what I've seen - very good.

Phil (PJA)

I haven't read Lloyd yet but a very good account of the campaign, reflecting recent scholarship on the development of British fighting methods, is 'Amiens to the Armistice: The BEF in the Hundred Days' Campaign' by J.P. Harris (Brassey's 1998).

There are a number of good-to-excellent books about the Hundred Days, or parts thereof.

Haven't got around to reading Nick Lloyd myself yet. J. P Harris has also been mentioned and is very informative.

Jonathan Boff's book is a published version of his PhD Thesis and beautifully researched, but expensive, as noted above.

You could begin by reading Michael Neiberg's 'The Second battle of the Marne' where the Allied counter-offensives really began in July 1918.

Another vital precursor to Amiens was the battle of Hamel, dealt with in the P&S Battleground Europe book with that title.

Amiens, 8th August 1918, is dealt with by:

Charles Messenger - The day we won the war

McWilliams and Steel - Amiens 1918

Norm Christie - The Canadians at Amiens

Another P&S book deals with the 'Advance to Victory' and their books dealing with the Hindenburg Line usually contain a final chapter, or perhaps the whole book, about the events of the Hundred Days.

Edward Lengel deals with the US contribution to the Grand Offensive in 'To conquer Hell' about the Meuse-Argonne offensive

Dale Blair covers the 'Battle of the Bellicourt tunnel'.

Simon.