The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Newfoundland Regiment

sassoon

I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction as far as good, concise books about the Newfoundland Regiment during the Great War. I've been doing some research on my great uncle who signed up in 1917 and although I don't know much about him, I'd like to be able to create a broader picture of the regiment and some of their movements during the war.

I know he was involved in the fighting in and around Ledeghem in Belgium in October 1918 (when he was killed).

Thanks in advance for any advice/recommendations.

P.S. For anyone living in Newfoundland and who has visited "The Rooms", would there be more information at the museum that I could access than what is online?

Hello Sassoon,

I have these books on my shelf: the Fighting Newfoundlander by Nicolson; Pilgrimage by David Parsons; Two Newfoundland VC's by Joy B. Cave and Known unto God by Frank Gogos and M. MacDonald.

Frank is working on a new book , you can find him here( www.newfoundlandbronze.ca ) I took a lot of photographs in and around Ledegem for him. You might try and contact him if you have special requests.

kind regards from Flanders,

Jef

Hi - not really answering your question but thought you might like this.

Regards.

SPN

Maldon

post-43629-0-17163600-1393223896_thumb.j

If you can get your hands on a copy "The First Five Hundred" is one to get, I believe it has been reprinted, but the original is printed on high quality art paper and has many photographs of the first contingent that fought at Gallipoli and on the Somme.There is also another book "Trenching at Gallipoli" printed 1916 I think which deals with the regiment`s participation in this campaign.

Thank you to everyone for your suggestions. I have heard of the Parsons book but have not read it. I'm a little new to the Newfoundland Regiment - I have a general knowledge based on my readings about their involvement during the Somme (the wonderful photo of the caribou at Beaumont-Hamel illustrates this) but nothing too in-depth. I visited my great uncle's grave two years ago - the first one from our family to ever see it in person. It would have been a long (not to mention expensive) trip to Belgium from St. George's, Newfoundland.

My uncle was 16 years old when he joined in 1917. He died at the age of 17. I know that underage recruitment went on quite a bit, especially in the later stages of the war, but I'm wondering how they got away with it. Some of these boys (my uncle included) most likely didn't look older than their age, so how did the officer in charge (with a clear conscience) sign off on it? Were the officers responsible for recruiting a certain number of men?

Thanks again for the suggestions. Any others would be most welcome.