The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Douglas Haig: Architect of Victory

SilverFox100

Have just purchased this today from the Works locally in Solihull for £2.99. Thought at that price couldn't go wrong. Can anybody tell me who has read it if it is a good read. The splurge seems to be pretty good.

Thanks. Mike

Mike,

it is one of a number of recent biographies of Haig which have spurned the 'Donkeys' view that prevailed until recently.

Compare with G D Sheffield's 'The Chief' ; Gary Mead's 'The good soldier' ; J P Harris' 'Douglas Haig and the First World War'.

What all of them do is take a balanced view based upon the evidence, rather than merely churn out all of the old cliches.

As such you ought to find it a more interesting read than, say, Denis Winter's 'Haig's Command'.

If your view of the generals is pre-formed by the Donkeys school of thought then you may find your ideas challenged somewhat, but what these four books do is show both the good and bad aspects of the character of Haig and his conduct in office. For example: Haig is widely supposed to have been a technophobe, but au contraire, as he shows interest in a very wide range of technical ideas, to the point that a man who proposed a Death Ray was at least given some credence until proven to be a charlatan.

It is an interesting book and possibly a challenging one to anyone who takes the accepted view. But approached with an open mind it gives a much richer, more detailed and nuanced view of one of the key figures of the Great War.

Simon.

Thanks Simon

I don't subscribe to the school of thought that we were lead by donkeys. I think that WW1 was a totally different war to any fought before and all our Generals had to learn very quickly how to fight this. Some fell by the wayside because they found change difficult to accept quickly, some, more than others, rose to the challenge. I think Haig is in the latter camp. I look forward to reading the book

Thanks. Mike