The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Rifle Brig Sgt Major

Desmond7

I have this information about the man below. Sadly I do not have a pic. Calling all Rifle Brigade people ... does he ring a bell and do you have a pic?

All help greatly appreciated.

Des

SERGEANT Major J. H. Carson, Rifle Brigade, who has sustained dangerous gunshot wounds on the upper jaw, is the fourth son of the late Mr. Henry Carson, Crumkill, Ballymena, Sgt.Major Carson was serving with the Inniskilling Dragoons in India at the outbreak of war after which he was posted to the Western Front. He is a brother of Mr. George Carson, Carnaughts and Mr. Henry Carson, draper, late of Church Street, Ballymena.

Ballymena Observer, April 20, 1917.

Hi Des ,

Not your man but might interest you , an RB Sergeant , on the back has Novemebr 1919 , from Willie & Kathleen .

The photographer is Thompson Studios - Belfast & Londonderry .

Note the row of medal ribbons and two wound stripes .

Chris

post-1-1097175571.jpg

What a great old picture .. and what about the chair he's sitting in! Can you imagine the price of that now?

Is he a relative? Someone you've been studying?

Thanks for the reply. I know I'm on a long shot with this one but you never know!

Des

Thanks B and to the other gent for the encouragement ;)

Am now trawling through clippings for any more detail.

Will be back.

des

Des,

Having checked their is nothing in the Rifle Brigade Regimental History of the First World War Volume 1,2 or 3 concerning your gentleman. So any other detail would assist Chris and I to help you pin him down a bit more.

Andy

Checked MICs and I think this is the man:-

When he was 6th dragoons his no. was 4445 and he was a staff sergt.major.

Underneath it says:- Rifle Brigade 6478 Company Sergt, Major.

Found this other reference as well.

SERGEANT J.H.J. Carson, Crumkill, of the Inniskilling Dragoons, brother of Mr. George Carson, Carnaughts, has been promoted to the rank of Squadron Sgt. Major and Warrant Oficer. SSM Carson was nine years in India with the Dragoons and is now with the Indian Expeditionary Force.

January 7, 1916

These are the two references I have for him. Any use?

Thanks for efforts lads.

Des

Hi Des,

Helps us a little more, thanks. If he was with the IEF chances are he was in the 18th RB who were in India, until transferred to the Western Front.

Andy

No problems - forum doing its proper job again!

There must be a story in the 'other' Carson for you guys as well - hopefully. Wish I could find more to help.

des

Hi Des ,

Little bit more but no help with the pic of him .

The Inniskillings ( 6th DG ) were in the 2nd Indian Cavalry Division and went France 14/12/1914 , ( served as infantry ) , I reckon he was transferred to the RB after that time .

I downloaded the MIC and that has him in France 16/12/1914 , still points to him as a 6th DG at that time . He was entitled to a 14/15 Star Trio , and I think he should have 6th DG on the Star & RB on the Victory & BWM .

He was also discharged and received the wound badge , so the SWB list should show which RB regiment he was with .

I don't think he was in the RB prior to embarkation as 18RB , 23RB & 24RB stayed in India from 1916 until the Armistice.

All very goos but does not help find a photo !

If you have not down loaded the MIC let me know and I'll post it to you .

Chris

Chris - many many thanks to you and Andy for your interest. With him being regular army in the pre-war years I reckon there's very few chances of a picture coming up. But you never know.

I'll keep hunting around!

Will e-mail off forum.

Hope the exchange has worked both ways and you guys now have a couple more RB men to work with!

Des

Now I know which way up wound stripes should be worn - this site is always an education

All The Best

Chris

Hi Des,

We have had a little chap about this guy, as Chris has his MIC and there is no mention of his battalion we need to get hold of the medal rolls indicated to see his battalion.

Chris is spot on with him not being in the 18th as he landed in France at the date on his MIC with the Inniskillings so obviously transferred when in France.

Andy

• 3 weeks later...

Des,

Got your man after a little search at the archives today. Sounds like quite a character, lost rank twice, once for being drunk and neglect of orders and the second for neglect of duty while squadrons orderly Sergeant.

He was transferred to the 7th RB's on 19/9/16 and discharged on 10/4/18.

If you e mail me off forum i will get his service record to you.

Andy

Andy - sounds like a good old fashioned headbanger! Great stuff. My thanks to you and all the RB 'hunters'

Will e-mail off off forum

V much appreciated Des

Des,

You are welcome, if you need the actions of the 7th RB's after he joined let me know and i will scan the Regimental History reports of to you. He was discharged on 10/4/18 after completing 17 years and 229 days service.

Andy