The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Tank Regiment

doogal

Hi

Part of my research into the actions of some units of the 62nd Division between Bucquoy and Rossignol Wood in March 1918 has brought up mention of tanks in action in a defensive capacity between 25 March and 1st April 1918.

I'm more of a PBI, so do any of the Pals with an interest in the Tank Regiment know which section/units were in this area between the above dates.

Just for general interest, the 62nd Division war diary mentions that "due to a general misunderstanding" the division withdrew. Tanks were sent up to the line to cover whilst this was sorted out and the troops returned to the trenches. I can't help sense that "general misunderstanding" disguises "utter chaos" or "some idiot ordered..."

Nevertheless, it turned out to be one of the more respected stands against the German Offensive, and I am aware of 2 VC's related to the action.

rgds

doogal

Doogal

The British Official History briefly mentions the tank actions in this area. Two companies (no more specific than that) of the 10th Tank Battalion were involved.

The New Zealand Division came into this part of the line. There is no mention (on a cursory flick-through) of the 10th Tank Battalion but the 8th Tank Battalion provided several Lewis guns teams. The latter contingency was not uncommon, given the number of tanks that had to be abandoned or were otherwise lost in the retreat.

Robert

Hi Robert,

Thanks for this - it gives me two separate lines of enquiry- the war diary I have read gives a number of mentions of role of Lewis guns during this action, as well as mention of the tanks - in fact as I recall, the Lewis guns were very busy during this five day period.

thanks again

rgds

doogal

Doogal

That's my impression of the Lewis (former tank crews) gunners as well. They really mucked in to help out. So did other services, such as the Special Brigade.

Robert

Hi Robert,

If you have an interest in the lewis gunners/tank regiment at this time, check the link to the war diary I posted some time ago - whilst it does not give huge detail on the gunners themselves, it makes it clear just how important they became in a critical situation.

The mention of the tanks was from the previous day/couple of days, which I don't have here (work).

rgds

doogal