The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Memoirs of Sir James Edmonds

MartH

What would she wear to hit him?

Ordered my copy yesterday. Also looking forward to the Memorials volume that's promised for this summer.

I've put my name down - pray the GLW doesn't find out - but I'm in a quandary.Do I store it, untouched and pristine, safeguarding my investment, or do I read it, and presumably reduce its future value? Maybe Tom could issue a paperback reading copy to solve the dilemma.

Standard operating procedure is to buy two, one for reading, one for the shelf :whistle:

Just picked up my copy from Tom at the Lewes bookfair. He's been in India for a week giving a lecture at a conference which is why some of you may not have had a reply.

I can only concur with Martin's verdict. It really is a superb production and well worth every penny. 300 copies will be gone in no time, particularly as my copy is No. 201! And how often do you get a book in a slipcase these days. This will sit rather nicely alongside my Official Histories.

Been reading mine, the content is as good as the production values.

I had a read receipt for my e-mail, but no reply, so fingers crossed

I had a read receipt for my e-mail, but no reply, so fingers crossed

The Chief Executive of Tom Donovan Editions was in India with Tom, hence the silence.

Alan what do you think of the content?

Grrr I placed my order using the website, but as the official publication date is 24 March I am still waiting to be contacted for payment.

Keith

Alan what do you think of the content?

Too early to say really as I've only had it a few hours & there's an awful lot of Rugby on the box today. A cursory glance shows him to be quite chatty & not afraid to express some strong opinions. Had everyone still been alive I imagine there would have been some interesting correspondence on the letter pages of the Times. It's certainly going to fill many a Spring evening.

Grrr I placed my order using the website, but as the official publication date is 24 March I am still waiting to be contacted for payment.

Keith

Tom tells me he returned to find his phone out of action and problems with his Internet connection so don't fret, all will be well.

had an e-mail from Tom earlier today, apologising for not getting in touch, but he's now back at the controls, and will despatch with dispatch on receipt of dosh.

Me too, but with an invoice. (And he's sending to work so no awkward questions).

Likewise- sorted, my payment is on the way, so I shall just be on stand by for delivery.

Keith

My copy has arrived, but I am in deep poo, as it was sent to my home address, and Mrs G was NOT impressed.'Another book? How many do you need?' Well, if they are like this, many more. As an object, it is a wonderful piece, and I look forward to reading it.

Paul, I hope you managed to keep the price a confidential matter between yourself and the bank?

Keith

Oh, if the price ever gets found out, the poo will be bottomless, never mind deep. And let's not mention 'Great War Dawning'.......

It will probably increase in value over time so just say it's an investment, rather like an ISA but with added interest.

I've read the brilliant Writing the Great War: Sir James Edmonds and the Official Histories, 1915-1948 and now Edmond's Memoirs sound very tempting.

The Stanhope book produced by Tom comes with a "highly recommended" and I assume the production and quality of Edmonds will be the same standard.

I have been reading my copy, and it's very interesting and maybe even libelous, if the participants were still alive. The book is not about writing the OH's, there are some 40 pages on that subject, it is about a very intelligent man's career in the Victorian Army, and being close to the High Command. As I have said before I wish a little of this style of writing had got into the OH's. It is a source for many books, including Andrew Green's book, and no doubt will now be quoted more widely. As for the production standards the only way to improve it would be to get it bound in leather :whistle:

I'm reading the War sections first, about a quarter of the book, and I agree Edmonds is not afraid to express some very strong opinions. French, Murray & Wilson get extremely short shrift. I have to say this is one of the most beautifully produced books I've handled in a long time.

I collected my copy from the sorting office this morning. It will be a while before I can settle down to read it, but I entirely agree with MartH's comment about the production. So, I need to find a serious block of time to tackle this properly, especially with the Great War Dawning also waiting for some concentrated attention.

Keith

If anyone wants to save a fiver, it can be obtained through ABE books for £85 post free.

TR

From my understanding Harrington's only have a single copy to sell so that won't really benefit more than 1 buyer. Given the weight of the book £5 postage doesn't seem unreasonable.

Made a start on the book last night. What a work of fascination. Edmonds clear memory, written in his 'anecdotage, provides a wealth of detail about the Victorian army which I hope will continue as I progress. I am wondering if Tom's decision to limit the print run was a good thing, the book certainly seems top deserve a wide readership. I'm amazed that no one has had the wit to publish the book before.