The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The Lost History of 1914

Old Tom

Seeking to spend the remains of a gift token I came across this book first publ;ished in 2012. The author has not been mentioned on this forum and was unknown to me. From the notes on the cover he is American. One of the chapters has counterfactual in the title. I shall find out, in due course, if he is of the Ferguson type of historian.

Old Tom

The title of the book is the name of the thread, and the author is in the tag - Jack Beatty

Seeking to spend the remains of a gift token I came across this book first publ;ished in 2012. The author has not been mentioned on this forum and was unknown to me. From the notes on the cover he is American. One of the chapters has counterfactual in the title. I shall find out, in due course, if he is of the Ferguson type of historian.

Old Tom

It is a dog's breakfast of a book Old Tom.

It's not fully counter factual but what it does do is look at events that happened in each of the belligerents' countries between Sarajevo and 1st August and says how they might have stopped the war. To which I just wanted to say, "But they didn't" in a rather puzzled voice - there was no civil war in Ireland over Home Rule, the murder trial in Paris did not deflect the Government from mobilisation and there was no democratic revolution in Germany.

All a bit pointless I thought, oh and the English is execrable. It reminded me of Gore Vidal's crushing put down of Jeffrey Archer, "He writes English as if it were his second language."

David

David, thanks for that. I'll put it to one side for the moment.

Old Tom