The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

A pair to the "Vandoos"

Terry

I recently was able to be the successful bidder for a pair to 416984 A.Cpl. Arthur Perreault, of the well-known French-Canadian 22nd Battalion.

Perreault enlisted in the 41st Bn., one of the other French-speaking units in the CEF, in March,1915. Toronto-born but living in Montreal, he had previously seen service with the 65th Regiment of Canadian Militia.

The battalion reached England in late October, 1915, and apparently had some discipline and behaviour problems. I have sent for Perreault's service file, but I am quite sure that he would not have reached France until 1916, so there is only a slight chance that he qualified for a 1914-15 star.

Perreault is listed as having died of wounds on 22 Feb.,1918. As the Canadian Corps was not involved in any major operations during that period, it can be assumed that he was fatally wounded during a tour of the trenches, part of the attrition that was so common throughout the war.

Terry, I doubt your man would have the Star.

In early February 1916, Col. Carson, the Bramshott Brigade Commander, sent a letter to General Carson, "our man in London." - "I will do my best with them, but they are a tough looking lot." Two days later, Carson replied to Smart - "I am sure that if anyone can lick the 41st into shape you will do so. Nothing short of a very strong hand can save these people."

By April 27th, the men were all dispersed: the French to the Van Doos or to the 10th Reserve, the English speakers to the 23rd Reserve or wherever, and most of the Russian company to Pioneer Training Depot.

Thanks for the input Broz; I agree that I am probably pretty safe - no star. I recall reading somewhere on this forum comments about the 41st being something of a troublesome outfit but can't remember just where.

Terry, :lol: , if you search for "41st" and "broznitsky" you will find quite a bit on them.

I made it my task to research them, when I found my g'dad enlisted with them: a Russian going into a French-Canadian unit.

What I found is not for the faint of heart . . .

Thanks, I'll track it down. As I have mentioned elsewhere my CEF collection is based on the idea of getting a trio or pair (whichever was appropriate) to each unit, and I have done quite well. My representative 22nd group is a nice trio to a fellow twice-wounded in 1916(Courcelette and then Regina Trench two months later). However, I am also looking for (fatal) casualty groups to the various fighting units, so when the opportunity came along to get this pair to Perreault I went for it.

Terry

Sounds like a good find let us know when the research comes in.

Best regards

N.S.Regt.

Terry,  :lol: , if you search for "41st" and "broznitsky" you will find quite a bit on them.

I made it my task to research them, when I found my g'dad enlisted with them:  a Russian going into a French-Canadian unit.

What I found is not for the faint of heart . . .

Broz

well you have certainly whetted my appetite

have you any reading suggestions?

chris

Chris, you will have to wait for my forthcoming book!! :o

There is precious little out there: a 1915 unit picture book only available from the Québec National Library; a 10 page article in a 1973 journal; 6 pages in French in a 22nd Btn history; a few odd quotes here and there in other general CEF history books.

Fortunately there are several boxes of files at Library & Archives Canada in Ottawa that I have been lucky enough to sift through.

Murder, debauchery, desertion, corruption, fraud, incompetence, fighting, mismanagement, insubordination; all fueled by wide-spread drunkeness amongst all ranks, chaplain not excluded.

How's that? :)

Hi Broz,

Actually I think that one of the reasons I bid on the pair was the fact that the fellow was originally a 41st man, and I recalled reading of their checkered history. It intrigued me, so I went for it. Anyway, they are a nice pair, and I am sure the file will be interesting.

One thing I am wondering about is his date of death - 22 Feb.,1918. As I said in my opening entry on this thread, the Canadians were not involved in any major fighting then, so I may discover his death was part of the normal attrition in a trench tour.

Murder, debauchery, desertion, corruption, fraud, incompetence, fighting, mismanagement, insubordination; all fueled by wide-spread drunkeness amongst all ranks, chaplain not excluded.

That sounds about right! :blink:

Looking forward to your book Broz