The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Canadian Units 1916

philary

Hello Pals

From information received on one of my earlier threads (German Army Information), I know that my Great Uncle, Hauptmann Gustav Birnbaum was killed in action on 8th October 1916, near Pys. He was in the Ersatz-Seebataillion Nr2, bzw. 10. Kompagnie beim Marine-Infanterie Regiment No. 3.

Does anyone know the Canadian regiments serving in that area at the time and if any war diaries or information is available that would add to the picture?

Thank you

Hilary

Hilary, from Nicholson's Official History:

"Early on 2 October Brig.-Gen. Macdonell handed over to the 6th Brigade. The 5th Brigade had gone into the line on 27 September with a trench strength of 1717 all ranks. It came out five days later with 773. Bad weather prevented further large-scale operations on either army's front for another week. General Gough left it to General Byng to select his own date for taking Regina Trench, provided this was done and the Canadian Corps in position to attack Pys on 11 October in the opening stages of the proposed three-army offensive."

So it might appear that your relative perished in one of those "all quiet, nothing to report" situations.

The 6th Brigade (Iron Sixth) consisted of the 27th, 28th, 29th, and 31st Battalions. Their War Diaries are all available online.

Peter in Vancouver