The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Egyptian Theatre of War and Gallipoli

Jon Shattock

I'm trying to reconcile the information on a MIC, showing 1st theatre as Egypt in early April 15 with a profile in War Services of Officers indicating that his 1st theatre was Gallipoli at the end on April 15. Can anyone please tell me if soldiers enroute to Gallipoli used to stop off in Egypt, and if so, would their first theatre be shown as Egypt?

Cheers,

Jon

There is a good possibility that this would be the case. Do you know his regiment?

Andy

Yes, it was the RGA

Jon

Egypt also saw active fighting before Gallipoli. The NZ Div was utilised to defend the Suez Canel (where they took their first Army fatality of the war) and also used to mount expiditions. In many of these cases they were attatched to and supported by UK tps.

It is a strong possibility that your man may have been involved in one of these actions

Alexandria was also a major port for operations in Gallipoli. Units shipped from elsewhere formed up there, re-supplied, trained and shipped to the islands near Gallipoli (Mudros, etc.) before proceeding to the peninsula. And there were combat operations independent of Gallipoli in the area as well.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jon

There were defensive ops on both east & West Suez canal by the Autumn of 1915 (Turks to the East, Senussi tribes to the West), so quite feasible mate.

Have all kinds of bits on the 54th Division (Beds Regmnt mainly) in Gallipoli & Egypt / Palestine theatres if you'd like it. Am not consistently on line for a few more days yet, so bear with me if you want something & Im a bit slow off the mark pse?! Best to mail me so I dont 'lose it' in all thats going on around me at the mo!!

Let me know if this sounds any use mate

Steve

Thanks to all of you for the info. As it happened, I was outbid on the medals the question related to, so it's only now of academic interest. From your responses it looks like his first theatre of war could have been shown in the MIC as Egypt, even if he considered his first "real" theatre to have been Gallipoli.

Jon