The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Book about Clipstone Camp

badger123456

I've searched on the forum but can't find any mention of this. An interesting book has been published which tells the story of the huge WW1 military camp at Clipstone in Nottinghamshire. It has been written by local author Pauline Marples and is published by Forest Town Heritage Group.

It tells the story of how the camp was built and how the 10's of thousands of soldiers integrated with the local community. The book contains many pictures of life in the camp as a well as maps and diagrams of how the camp was laid out. Pauline Marples has spoken to many people in the local area who had links to the camp and this is reflected well in the book.

Chapters include:

Development of the Camp

Camp Life

The Social Impact of the Camp

Women in Uniform

The Closing Years

It is highly recommended to anyone with an interest in regiments who served at Clipstone Camp or with an interest in WW1 training in the UK.

The price is £10 plus £2.50 and is available from heritage.foresttown@ntlworld.com

Badger

post-56234-0-81150000-1394624044_thumb.j

Thanks for the link

Been after a book on clipstone camp for a few years now

Shane

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

This book is also available from the Museum at Mansfield. There is to be an exhibition at the museum in October celebrating the centenary.

As I have said in my blog, more photos are needed particularly of the Hospital as at present there is only a plan. A free website can help with knowledge about serving men.......Circlecity war.

• 1 year later...

Attended a talk tonight at Whiston hertage society by Pauline Marples, a native of Whiston , on Clipstone camp. Very well researched and presented. Her research is ongoing.

16/KRRC were at Clipstone June to August 1915. Is there much in Pauline's book on this battalion?

Cheers,

Mark

I havent read the book , just attended the talk. Don't recall 16 KRRC being mentioned.

If you send a pm to eleanor , badger 123456 or zippy72 ( earlier posts) they may have a contact e mail for the author.