The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Private Henry John Thorn

Guest blueeyes

Would anyone know where I might find Henry Thorn's service records? I am posting this for a friend. Henry was her grandfather, He died 6 weeks before the end of the war & never knew that his second daughter was born. I found the following info on the CWGC site. THORN, Henry John, nationality U.K., rank Private, Regiment East Surrey, Secondary Regiment London Regt. First Surrey Rifles, Secondary Unit Text posted to 1st/21st bn., DOD 01/09/1918, Service #3659, Casualty Type Commonwealth War Dead, Grave/Memorial Reference Panel 6, Cemetery Vis-En-Artois Memorial.

I have checked WWI Medal Index and not found a medal for Henry. Would a medal have been given to the family posthumously? Also is there any info on the internet regarding the history of his regiment? I surely appreciate any help given. Thanking all replies in advance.

Joan Steele from Down Under

Hello John

I recommend you have a read of "Grandads War" on the Long, Long Trail. (Link top left of this page). It will tell you about service records and where to find them. From Oz, you will need to recruit some help as the records that exist are not on-line and a visit to the National Archives in Kew is required.

As the man died in France, he would have qualified at least for the British War Medal and Victory Medal, and they would have been sent to his next of kin c.1921.

They would also have received a bronze death plaque and illuminated scroll.

The Long, Long Trail also gives some outlines of the regimental history. Have agood trawl around the site, and good luck!

Private, Number36959,born in London, enlisted in Birmingham while living in battersea, KIA 1/9/18, Formerly 37297 of th Royal flying Corps, This daya if from Soldiers Died in the great war.

regards.

Tom

I have checked WWI Medal Index and not found a medal for Henry.

The majority of Ts (including all THORNs) have not been released onto the website yet.

Andy