The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

ONE FOR THE TALMERS?

Jonathan Saunders

Having been prompted by Kate Wills I recently purchased a s/h copy of Alan Thomas WW1 autobiography of his time with the West Kents. This is a first edition published by GOLLANCZ in 1968 and had some complimentary slips from a Sir J. Masterman and ownership was stamped inside to a GFJ Cumberlege.

I looked in the West Kent's history for references to a Cumberlege - no luck. Looked on the on-line MiC index and found:

Geoffrey Fennick Jocelyn Cumberlege, Lt-Adj - 11/Royal Fusiliers and Capt - Ox & Bucks LI. PROCAT has no officer file for him although there is a "CF" - possibly a corruption of "GF"?

A quick look on the internet and I find a Geoffrey Cumberlege publishers - the forerunner of the Oxford University Press - which bearing in mind this is a complimentray copy would suggest one and the same person.

I wondered if anyone had any info on his war service - Brian/Lesley particularly may have come across him in their pursuit of the Ox & Bucks?

Well its different to researching medals :lol:

Thanks in advance.

Jon,

If the Talmers haven't come across him would you like me to have a look at the Army Lists for you? He could of served after 1922 if there are no service records on PROCAT. I should be going to the PRO later next week so its no problem if you want me to have a look.

Alie.

Alie - I would be grateful for any help. My hunch was he had left the army soon after the Armistice to go into business but of course the complete opposite may have happened!

Thanks,

Jon

Jon,

our research is confined to other ranks as there is enough info about for officers. However I'll keep my eyes open as I'm searching for you

Sorry I can't help

Lesley

Lesley - thanks for the reply. Please do keep your eyes open in case any mention pops up - it an unusual name so I am sure it will jump out at you.

Jon

Hi Sigs,

I had a little look through a few various army lists yesterday on Cumberlege.

2nd Lt (temp) from 6 October 1914 according to February 1915

Lt and Adjt (temp) from 1 February 1915 according to October 1916

Capt and Adjt (temp) DSO from 3 October 1916 according to June 1917

All with the 11th Service Battalion Royal Fusiliers. Then in the army list October 1917 he was on a separate list: "Officers who have been gazetted to a general list for service with service battalions but whose allocation is not included in this issue or who are holding other appointments".

Capt from 3 October 1917 according to January 1918.

This was with the Ox & Bucks 1st and 2nd Regular Battalions. A small letter s. next to his name reveals, "General Officers employed and officers holding general administrative staff appointments specified in army order 92/1916.

I also checked out WO 338 and there is a 'P' next to his name which means that his records are still held by the MOD.

Hope this makes sense and is of some help, and goes a little way towards the pink mug!!

Alie.

Hope this makes sense and is of some help, and goes a little way towards the pink mug!!

... well it goes a very little way towards the pink mug :D

No, thanks loads Alie. This is great work on yr part. One question, do you know if the term DSO refers Divisional Staff Officer or something similar or a DSO? My guess is it was the former.

Jon

Jon,

I did have a look at his MIC quickly too, but I didn't write anything down about that. But I am 90% certain he was awarded a DSO. I also think he was awarded an MC too but I did alot of men yesterday so I can't quite remember. I should be going next Saturday so I can double check.

Alie.

Jon,

I did have a look at his MIC quickly too, but I didn't write anything down about that. But I am 90% certain he was awarded a DSO. I also think he was awarded an MC too but I did alot of men yesterday so I can't quite remember. I should be going next Saturday so I can double check.

Alie.

Youy really should get your husband to edit your posts!

I am shocked he was probably a DSO and possibly an MC ... thanks loads.