The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

SDGW Check

Digger

Please could someone check the SDGW for references to

16026, Arthur Wrench, 10th Btn., Cheshire Regiment

56246, Charles Wrench (sometimes recorded as John Charles), 2nd

Btn., Royal Welsh Fusiliers

241272, Fred Wrench, 1st/6th Ntn., Cheshire Regiment.

They all died and are commemorated on the Cheadle Memorial, and in Arthur's case also on the Wilmslow Memorial.

Many thanks

Digger

Digger

I have researched all three as part of the research into the men on the Cheadle Memorial. Click on the website link below for all there is know and to save youself loads of trouble.

Feel free to contact me by PM/email if necessary

John

John

Thanks very much you've saved me some work.

Digger

I still have the photos of J Wrench's grave which I took for John in Mont-Huon Cemetery, near le Treport, last year...

Gwyn

Gwyn,

Would you mind letting me have a copy of the photo of John Wedge's grave. It is unlikely I will be able to get to see it myself in the near future, but a photo would be great. It is only recently I have connected the brothers and their family to my great grandmother, but have received so much help in learning about them. :D Thanks.

Digger

Digger

Did you know that family still exists in the Stockport area?

I also have a photo taken of Arthur's inscription at Tyne Cot (taken by a Forum member for me). I cannot attach them to an email I send you via the Forum, but if you send me an email, then I can reply to that with the photos.

(Gwyn - thanks for tthe offer to send the Treport photos. Do you still have a copy of the write-up you did. I forwarded that to the family and didnt keep a copy. It was lovely and I'm sure Digger would appreciate it)

There is also a photo of Fred Wrench's inscription on Soisssons Memorial (also taken for me by a Pal). I sent this to the family as well.

John

Digger: Yes, of course. If you email me via the Forum, which will then give me your email address, I'll send it to you. Unless you prefer a physical copy, in which case I'll need a postal address!

You're very welcome to the bit of scribble which I did to accompany it, as mentioned by John.

Just out of interest - what's your specific connection with these men?

John: Wot? You have LOST a Gwyn first edishun email? Wen im famus it cud'uv been worth lodes.

Gwyn

John: Wot? You have LOST a Gwyn first edishun email? Wen im famus it cud'uv been worth lodes.

Absolutely not.

To pinch a quote from an entirely different source. "It is not missing. It is there"

In this case, with his nephew.

And shame on you! Putting a price on your art.

Whatever next?

John

(PS: photos in my possession now gone to Digger)

Absolutely not.

To pinch a quote from an entirely different source. "It is not missing. It is there"

In this case, with his nephew.

And shame on you! Putting a price on your art.

(PS: photos in my possession now gone to Digger)

Humph. Sophistry.

If I don't put a price on my art I'll never get the sills done on my XR2.

Does that mean that Digger has the photos I took? All, including the page in the register?

Gwyn

Gwyn

No - I havnt sent the Treport stuff. Thought it all better coming from you (as I asked if you could send the example of "artisitic prose" - like wot it woz). Is it still OK for you to do this.

I have sent the photos Croonaert had done for me.

For the benefit of our wider audience, Digger is going to write to the family, via me. Which, I think, we can chalk up as another Forum success - putting two bits of a family in touch with each other.

John

(PS: Gwyn - thought you were keeping the XR2 in the garage till it was old enough for Antuques Roadshow. You know - next April)