The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

3rd North Staffs Regiment / 2nd Lincolns

KONDOA

My man above was originally in the Lincolnshire Regiment No. 38200

At some point he transferred to the N.Staffs and seems to have either 2 numbers or theres some mistyping somewhere by aged rellies.

40439 Shown on Ration Book

40873 (shown on medal roll index)

At some point he got trenchfoot and was in hospital in Wallsend on Tyne later joining Labour Corps.

I am trying to fill in where and what he was up to during his time with North Staffs and hopefully with the Lincolns. A bit of a long shot but to date no SR has been found and little family knowledge left as he died many years ago.

Hi,

Can't help much-there's a surprise. Likely to have joined the Lincs in July or August 1917.

Also the N Staffs number of 40873 falls slam in the middle of a group of former Lincolns men, all with similar numbers to your Arthur. Seems to be an even spilt between the 2/6th and 8th battalions.

What do the medal rolls say?

Jim

Jim, Chris, Thanks for your valued response.

Have at this time been unable to view medal rolls but MIC card is attached.Which corroborates the Reg nos found on the medals and a letter (at the time of hospitalisation).

Verbal uncorrobated family lore suggests he was at Hill 60, cannot verify. He definitely went to Ireland at some time. We know he first tried to join up underage but was sent away to try again later.

He was first in hospital we believe in Guildford then Wallsend for trenchfoot, it appears he was in Labour Corps after this but again cannot be sure. SR has not yet turned up so things remain vague sorry to say.

Late edit here!!! Have just noticed that there is another Reg. no on the letter!!

It is either 40489 or 40439 this appears on a letter dated on what looks like 23rd August 1918. 40439 also appears on ration card so I assume that is the correct number. The Address is Pte A. Hill 3rd. North Stafford Reg. ?? Company.

Exact medal inscription reads

A.Hill 38200 Pte. Lincoln Reg. 2.

This I have assumed is 2nd Battalion.