The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Canadian/Japanese

stiletto_33853

While doing some research into some locals today at the library this little snippet came up. There was a Canadian Hospital locally which treated apparantly a fair amount of Japanese troops fighting as Canadian troops.

This was a new one on me so thought i would post it.

Andy

post-1-1097514617.jpg

Great photo Andy!

These should be their attestation papers, Pte Tokunaga and Pte Harada.

Unfortunately Pte Tokunaga, 52nd Battalion (Ontario) (Ted Wigney's CEF Roll of Honour mentions the PPCLI) CEF died 29/06/1917. His original Battalion at enlistment was the 13th Canadian Mounted Rifles (Alberta).

Pte Harada's brother with the 50th Battalion (Alberta) was killed 15/08/1918. He originally enlisted with the 175th Battalion (Alberta).

Edited by chris.wight

I always did wonder where the Japanese were fighting to get their Victory Medal  :ph34r:  ....... or did these guys get the Commonwealth version  :blink:

Les

They were ethnic Japanese living in North America, and enlisted in the CEF.

The Japanese proper fought against the Germans in places like China.

They also landed people to put down the mutiny by part of the Indian army at Singapore and had troops in Russia, as part of the Allied Intervention in Siberia

Chris,

Yes thats there attestation papers, wow. Incidentally for our Canadian Pals, there were also a couple of pictures of Canadians receiving their M.M's whilst in hospital. The ones i got copies of were Sergeant Tuach and Private Scholbread. If these are of interest to you , let me know and i will post them or get copies to you.

Andy

Andy, please do post the photos when you have the time - love to see them. Thanks! :)

Private Scholbread receiving his MM, had to cut down size a bit as too big a file for the forum 200 kb

post-1-1097517068.jpg

Sergeant Tuach, Southend and Westcliff Graphic January 19th 1917. and Private Scholbreads picture was Southend and Westcliff Graphic February 2nd 1917

Thanks for posting those photos, Andy!

I was able to find Sjt. Tuach's papers; he was from Urray (?), Rossshire, Scotland and had spent 11 years with the Seaforths (1901-1912). Pte. Scholbread is a bit of a mystery since I can't find any such name. I'll have to dig a bit deeper here.

Chris

I did a check for Scholbread in the M.M. book and could not find anything close to his name I checked the C.M.R. and the Infantry it looks like you may have to dig real deep. if you are interested Sgt. Tuach was gazetted in the London Gazette 27th Oct. 1916 so he was a early one.

Best regards

N.S.Regt.

Guest Pete Wood
The Japanese proper fought against the Germans in places like China.

They also landed people to put down the mutiny by part of the Indian army at Singapore and had troops in Russia, as part of the Allied Intervention in Siberia

The Japanese navy was also fighting with us in the Dardanelles.

Thanks, Stephen. I think you are right about having to dig deep. The only name I was able to come up with in the London Gazette was a Military Medal given to a Lance-Serjeant A. Schoolbread (#23660) of the Gloucesters, 29th December, 1916 (Issue 29886). Could it be a case of mistaken identity?

The only name I was able to come up with in the London Gazette was a Military Medal given to a Lance-Serjeant A. Schoolbread (#23660) of the Gloucesters, 29th December, 1916 (Issue 29886). Could it be a case of mistaken identity?

Chris

I would say that that is the name refered to in the picture the name or the unit may have been mixed up by the publisher at some point. I do not know for sure but the 5th CMR I believe has a history maybe a list of MM winners is included he I do not think the numbers would be great but you may be able to track them down.

Best regards

N.S.Regt

Here is an execerpt from the Pierre Berton book VIMY regarding Japanese Canadians in the CEF ...

"The heaviest casualties of the trench raids were probably suffered by the Japanese Canadians from British Columbia, who were determined to prove they were as good as or better than their fellow Canadians. Victor Wheeler of Calgary noted that of twenty-five Nisei assigned to his company in the 50th Battalion, only two or three survived. They were, in the words of the company sergeant-major, "a bloodthirsty lot of chaps especially in hand to hand combat." The trouble was they either ignored or forgot about the timetable and ended up casualties."

Pierre Berton, VIMY, p 120

I always did wonder where the Japanese were fighting to get their Victory Medal :ph34r: ....... or did these guys get the Commonwealth version :blink:

their own version I understand but with (what looks like) a standard ribbon

picture courtesy of Paul Murphy

jap_vic_medal

Chris, Stephen,

You might be right as the report says the Glen. The Canadian Hospital in Southend was The Overcliff, thats not to say that Canadians were not put in the Glen as well but most reports i have seen seem to indicate that most, if not all, the Canadians were put in The Overcliff. As you say it might be an oversight by the photographer/editor of the time.

There also seem to be a lot of photographs re Canadians in the papers, seems Southend was not only a place of recovery but a favourite with them on leave to.

Andy