The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Pte C J J Eatenton 7th Bedfordshires

Terry Carter

Hello folks

I am trying to get a bit of info for a young guy I met whilst visiting the Somme last weekend.

He is trying to find any info on Pte Charles Joseph John Eatenton, No. 43287 of the 7th Bedfordshire Regt. KIA 6/11/16 Thiepval Memorial.

Formerly No. 13871 Middlesex Regt.

Regards

Terry

Hey Terry

Thats a pretty specific name isnt it? Looks familiar though ...

Have nothing on me & have been off line for a few weeks, but should be back on by the weekend, but if you mail me (steve@fulmac.com) itll remind me to look for you mate. I say this as Im snowed under with various bits, so it MAY get 'lost' in the confusion!!

Is there an MIC or any sdgw/cwgc info for the man at all? Or a mention in the 'Shiney 7th' praps? If so, can ya pop it on the mail pse Terry?

If I dont have anything on him to hand easily, Im due another trip to Bedford soon, so will have a gander at what they have.

Speak yo you soon

Steve

Hi Terry.

Charles Joseph John Eatenton was from Plaistow in Essex.

He is listed as formerly 22075 Northamptonshire Rgt on the MRI, so it appears he may have served with both the Middlesex and Northamptonshire Regiments before the Bedfords (your contact will have to download the card).

The battalion was holding Regina Trench from the 4th to the 6th of November 1916 (They moved to bivouacs near Albert on the 6th). The Battalion HQ was at R29 Central (Map ref Miraumont-1/20000).

The War Diary does not mention any major action taking place during this time (Eatenton is not mentioned at all in the diary and in all probability had only arrived a short time before his death, as a replacement for the casualties incurred at Thiepval in late September).

The diary has the following entry for 11-10-16.

" 158 OR arrived from England all of which were well equipped, of good physique and a marked improvement on previous drafts (except they had no marching powers)"

I suspect Eatenton was one of these men returning after recovering from wounds obtained with his previous regiment.

Although the diary does not mention specifics, an indication of life in Regina Trench between these dates is given by the following 7th Beds MM citations.

Pte GE Gough.

During extremely heavy shelling of Regina Trench he remained on duty as a signaller, in an exposed part of the trench without cover of any kind. Communication with Battalion HQ was repeatedly broken, but on every occasion he went out through the barrage and repaired the wire.

Pte B Mulrien.

He organized a party and dug out four men who had been buried in the trench by a shell. The party was heavily shelled all the time.

Pte A Thompson.

As stretcher bearer he showed great devotion to duty, attending to cases under very dangerous and trying circumstances. Having attended to all cases in his company he volunteered to go over the open country, to another company to assist them. It was only by direct order of his officer that he did not go.

Cpl W Dean

When not on duty came out of his dugout during an intense bombardment and walked from sentry post to sentry post, cheering up the men. He was severely wounded, having an arm practically blown off, but after being attended to by a stretcher bearer continued to encourage the men until sent back to the dressing station by his officer.

These citations prove to me that not all MMs were "sent up with the rations".

The conditions were described by an officer at the time as follows

"The men were soaked to the skin with liquid mud for days on end, and after ration carrying fatigues were dead beat. It was a long carry, and the mud was appalling. On relief the men sometimes did not get back to Albert 'till 6 am, and had no opportunity of getting properly dry before they went in the line again. The sick rate at the time was the worst I have ever known".

I am very interested in the 7th Beds Regiment and I would like to get in contact with your contact if he is willing.

Cheers.

Concur with John there. Diary mentions:

"6-11-16 Relieved from Trenches & move to Bivouacs in TARA Hill near Albert. "

There are a few dozen casualties, increases and decreases mentioned, casualties especially around 13-16 Nov, but your mans not there Im afraid.

'43289 Pte Eggitt, H. D Company' was struck off the Btn strength that month; numbers close, so they may have known each other or met in the command depot praps, but cant offer anything else Im sorry.

Maybe he was KIA whilst relief was taking place?

Terry

There's a Charles Eatenton, aged 18, living in West Ham on the 1901 census. I traced him back to the 1891 census and found him to the son of Henry and Hannah Eatenton. At that time, the family lived at 133 Maroon Street, Limehouse. Charles was one of 8 children.

An unusual surname, there were only 64 people of this name in the 2001 census. When I went back to 1871, there were only 14, all living in the East End of London

Steve