The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

A.L.I.A.S.

Hugh Pattenden

Hi,

I have at various times come across men who served with a unit called A.L.I.A.S. I was just wondering if anyone knows what this unit was.

Thanks,

Hugh

Hugh.

In what context have you seen this. Is it usually listed after the soldier's name? If this is the case, it's saying that the name is actually an alias (ie. his real name was something else), it's not actually a unit.

However, saying this, I'd be interested to see if there actually was a unit with these initials (sounds like something from "Thunderbirds"! :D )

Dave.

Hello Hugh.

I have come across this abbreviation before,when checking the CWGC website,where it is used to show a man who served under another name.

I am not sure of a regiment with those initials,i must admit,but there were so many and i am no expert,so it could be possible,but i wonder if you have come across it,for the above reason.

All the best.

Simon.

Hugh

When it appears on the CWGC site, it means that the man served under an 'alias' i.e. a different name. If you

click on the man's name to get his details up, then look in the 'Additional

information' box, you will be told his true family name. Then do another

search using that name to find the unit he was serving with.

Sue

If we are talking about CWGC database entries, then they use the word 'ALIAS' in the Regiment field to denote an alternative name just as Sue says.

(NOTE:- It is ALIAS not A.L.I.A.S.)

The real family name will be noted and the entry under that name will give full details.