The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Gordon Highlanders

Guest lenabmit

Have just started to investigate my Grandfather's part in the war and am finding it difficult to get full picture. I have 5 bits of paper

(i) 1913 - he was discharged from the 5th Battalionof the Gordon Highlanders (no problem there)

(ii) undated Unit Register Card 8. length of service in years - 4 and half; service in the field - 3 and half, service category XI©, Unit 1st Bn Gordon Highlanders

(iii) Army Form B dated 20th August 1915 with information that he had been admitted to No 1 Stationary Hospital Rouen on 14.8.15 where his regiment is given as 5th Gordons. How can I find out what happened to him after his spell in hospital?

(iv) part of a march itinery after the signing of the Armistice,'The 1st Battalion Gordon Highlanders(third division) forming part of the second British Army was sent to Germany....'

(v) Soldier's Demobilization Account - corps or regiment Gordon Highlanders, date seems to be 7th April 1919

What did he serve in?

I have read about the Gordon Highlanders but am not certain if I am following the right division sometimes it seems to be 1st, then 5th, then 1/5 then 51st and even 153 yet no mention of this in Grandpa's papers. How can I determine what regiment he was in at a specific time?

Is there a Gordon Highlander's war diary?

Grateful for any help. Thanks

Lena

Hello Lena

The 1/5th (Buchan and Formartin) battalion of the Gordon Highlanders were a territorial unit part of 153rd Brigade (4 battalions) 51st Highland Division (12 battalions). They were raised in the Peterhead Fraserburgh area of the Nort East Highlands. Where you are finding 5th and 1/5th , they are in fact the same thing.

In August 1915 when he was admitted to hospital they were holding the line in the Somme sector ( a year before the famous battle started) He may have been wounded but equally he may have been suffering from an ailment of some kind.

There is a good history of the Regiment called "The Life of a Regiment, the History of the Gordon Highlanders" by Cyril Falls, you want Voume IV which relates to the Great War. Also there is a very good history of the 51st Division avaliable through Naval and Military Press.

The references to the 1st battalion are more puzzling, but I suppose it's possible he was transferred at some point

No doubt others will be able to add more

Good luck in your research

Hambo

My Great Uncle was killed while serving with the 4th Bn Gordon Highlanders.

I am trying to find more about what his Bn was involved in during this time.

James Miller SCOTT, LCpl 200633, 4th Battalion, Gordon Highlanders, who died on Thursday, 20th September 1917. Age 23.

Son of William & Jemima Scott, of 11 Upper Kirkgate, Aberdeen.

TYNE COT MEMORIAL, Zonnebeke, West-Vlaanderen, Belgium Panel Number 135 to 136

While in Scotland earlier this year I visited the memorial at Edinburgh and saw his name in the record book there.

I would appreciate if someone could help guide me to discover more about this man.

many thanks

Stu McKay

Australia

To Malcolm and Hambro - thank you both for taking the time to reply to my plea for help.

First Malcolm - I am now able to read the GH diary on line. Am I correct in thinking that service records (if they survived) are held in the National Archives in London and can not be accessed on-line?

Hambro - I think I need to do some homework on what the terms brigade, battalion, division etc stand for but I'm glad of the info you've provided. I have read part of the book you recommend, 'The Life of a Regiment'. I got it from the local library. I shall try the Naval and Military Press for the other book. My Grandfather was hit in the neck, hence hospitalisation in Rouen. He survived that and I have part of the shrapnel (supposedly) removed from his wound.

Thanks again

Lena

First Malcolm - I am now able to read the GH diary on line. Am I correct in thinking that service records (if they survived) are held in the National Archives in London and can not be accessed on-line?

Yes, a visit to the National Archives at Kew is what you have to do.

Aye

Malcolm

Hello Stu from Australia

You wanted to know where the 4th Gordons were on the 20th of September.

They were part of 154th Brigade of the 51st Highland Division and were involved in the battle for Pollecappelle one of the engagements which took place during what was know overall as the 3rd Battle of Ypres.

They were involved in a partially successful attack which resulted in the capture of Pheasant Trench in front of the village of Pollecappelle. Two other battalions of the brigade were to take the trench and the the 4th Gordons and the 7th Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders were to pass through these and continue the advance.

It appears that German resistance was strong in the trench, which was taken, but the Gordons also became involved and took a number of casualties.

Although they then formed up to continue the advance they were under a sustained barrage and lost still more men.

The advance was continued, they were engaged in the capture of Pheasant Farm Cemetery but by then were reduced to 5 officers and around 60 men. They were reinforced by a company which was in reserve but they were eventually forced back during the late afternoon by a counterattack and ended up back in Pheasant Trench again.

During this battle they lost all their officers and a substantial number of other ranks.

The division lost 45 officers and 1,110 other ranks

It is no surprise that he has no known grave as the conditions were thick mud and large numbers of shell holes filled with water into which the men simply disappeared.

Hope this helps

Hambo