The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Beneath Flanders Fields

iain mchenry

Hi Folks,

Just recently picked up a copy of the new "Beneath Flanders Fields" by Peter Barton, Peter Doyle and Johan Vandewalle. I picked up my copy from Johans Cafe "De Dreve" on the edge of Polygon Wood near Ypres. For anyone interested in the Tunnellers and the war underground this book is fantastic. The book has over 400+ colour and B/W photos and is nothing short of excellent. There are a lot of Tunnel and dugout Maps from around the Salient. Well worth £25.

Iain

Hi Folks,

Just recently picked up a copy of the new "Beneath Flanders Fields" by Peter Barton, Peter Doyle and Johan Vandewalle. I picked up my copy from Johans Cafe "De Dreve" on the edge of Polygon Wood near Ypres. For anyone interested in the Tunnellers and the war underground this book is fantastic. The book has over 400+ colour and B/W photos and is nothing short of excellent. There are a lot of Tunnel and dugout Maps from around the Salient. Well worth £25.

Iain

Thanks Iain - it sounds really good.

Robbie

Hello Iain

Thanks for the heads up. I have just ordered mine off of the online book store named after a river in South America and got it for £17.50 B) . Definately looking forward to the read.

Thanks again

Andy

Hello Iain

Thanks for the heads up. I have just ordered mine off of the online book store named after a river in South America and got it for £17.50 B) . Definately looking forward to the read.

Thanks again

Andy

Me too. Won't be any left at this rate. Only published on 30th September 2004, too.

Robbie

Andy and Robbie,

Seems you got your copies a wee bit cheaper than mine! :o !!!!!! Oh well. But it will be a great addition to anyone interested on the subject. Andy, there is some great maps/photos in the book about the Petis Bois area and the excavation of the Petit Bois Vertical and inclined mine shafts. Let me know what you think of it when you get your copies.

Iain

Andy and Robbie,

Let me know what you think of it when you get your copies.

Iain

Will do Ian.

Robbie

Andy, there is some great maps/photos in the book about the Petis Bois area and the excavation of the Petit Bois Vertical and inclined mine shafts. Let me know what you think of it when you get your copies.

Iain

I certainly will. Unfortunately I couldn't persuade the missus to go stomping across fields in search of holes during our visit in September, maybe next time.

Andy

Iain,

I guess 'War Underground' (pub 1962) by Alexander Barrie has been the definitive book on this subject until now; how would you say this new work compares?

The quantity of photograps certainly sounds very impressive. I shall have to buy it regardless. :D

Giles and Pat,

I have both Barries and Grieves books on the war underground and they are both excellent. This book in my eyes is up there with them. The one thing that this new book has is plenty of tunnellers maps (in colour) and diagrams that lack in the other books. There is plenty of use of Tunnellers recollections from letters and diaries added in this book which is great (Especially covering Spr W. Hackett VC. The only tunneller to be awarded one.)

The maps that have been used are second to none in this book unless you have been to Chatham and copied them yourself! What is also interesting is the use of modern day photography of the tunnells that were explored by Peter Barton and Johan Vandewalle in the making of there documentary "The war Underground". There are photos of the tunnels near Tor Top where Lt Westacott fought a hand to hand underground action for nearly 24 hrs. In the photos can be seen bullet strikes (and the bullets!!) from this action. I hope this wets your appetite!

Best regards

Iain

Yet another thanks to Iain.

By the way Amazons stocks of this book are falling noticeably; and at £17.50 a copy is it any wonder.

Garth

Thanks for letting us know about this book Iain. Have ordered a copy.

It might interest some to know that a historian in WA is currently researching a book on the Mining operations at Gallipoli.

Regards

Andrew

Book arrived today.

This is one the best books I have ever seen on a topic concerning WW1. While I am no expert on tunnelling, (should be after reading the book) the wealth of info, maps, photos, etc is amazing.

Well done, Peter Barton, Peter Doyle and Johan VanDeWalle

Peter ;)

I could not agree more with the very positive comments that others have made about Beneath Flanders Fields. It not only looks definitive, but is most handsomely produced with a wealth of colour and monochrome illustrations and maps. It has to be my Great War Book of the Year.

I have today recieved a review copy of Beneath Flanders Fields. Sadly Stand To! will not be able to publish a full review until the New Year although a brief mention of its publication will appear. If you are working on your Christmas List then put Beneath Flanders Fields on it. It might save you getting another 'turkey' amongst your gifts.

Highly recommended just isn't good enough for this splendid effort.

This is one the best books I have ever seen on a topic concerning WW1. While I am no expert on tunnelling, (should be after reading the book) the wealth of info, maps, photos, etc is amazing.

Thoroughly agree with all. Got my copy a few days ago - a fantastic book.

Robbie

Hello

Next time you are near Ypres visit the IJzertor (Yser Tower) in Diksmuide where there is an excellent exhibition of tunnellers and tunnelling beneath Flanders fields. It is certainly worthwhile if tunnelling is of interest.

Regards

I am up to the section about the tunnelling under Hill 60 and the Caterpillar.

I get goosebumps now when I remember walking all over Hill 60 last year with Tom M.

Also went down to Larch Wood cemetery to see the brow of the hill where the tunnel started from.

This is one great book!

Peter

Could not wait till Christmas sent order to Amazon received the book on my return from Ypres on Saturday FANTASTIC read being a Royal Engineer it gives a brilliant insight into the Corps past.

Hello everyone,

Finally the work of some peoples, who has always been knew as “amateurs”, is putted together is an excellent publication. And this is just a beginning. The research is still going on and the motivation of the team is stronger than ever. I’ve been told that those peoples have been working on this book for over 12 years.

I hope that this book will be read by some peoples of the Belgian government or some Belgian military experts. ;)

Well done guys. Keep on doing the good work.