The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Beneath Flanders Fields

iain mchenry

Steve,

If interested, I should put that book on the top of your list.

Gilbert Deraedt

Simon

Thanks for this info on Arthur Dean (later Sir Arthur). This is probably the right man, but I would have go to the library and find "Who Was Who" again to be sure of his other Christian names. (Or is it on-line? - never tried that way).

I haven't heard that he wrote a book, but he was modest about a lot of things. My great-aunt was his second wife and she didn't marry him till 1951 (and is now also deceased) so she might not even have known of a book. He had some sons by his first marriage but I've lost contact with them.

The photo does look like the way I remember him, but as he was an old man by the time I knew him this might be wishful thinking.

Where were 252 coy. located if not the Salient - the Somme I presume?

I do remember him saying that he once had to lead his men over the top in support of an infantry attack. He said he wasn't happy about doing this "but I went". I always remember him saying "But I went" - an understatement that spoke volumes.

Adrian

Adrian

Many thanks - that's very interesting, especially if the photo shows him. Do let me know if you get a more positive id. I have found some internet references which show that Sir Arthur is the same man as A W H Dean. I doubt now that he was the author of Tunnellers All.

252 Company were at Beaumont Hamel (based in Auchonvillers) during the Somme, Bullecourt, Bapaume, Hebuterne, Noreuil, Havrincourt Wood, Quesnoy & Mauberge. They blew the famous Hawthorne Mine seen on the Somme film.

Steve - yes, lots on 171 Coy & Messines, although I can't see anything specific on your man.

Regards

Simon

Adrian

Many thanks - that's very interesting, especially if the photo shows him. Do let me know if you get a more positive id. I have found some internet references which show that Sir Arthur is the same man as A W H Dean. I doubt now that he was the author of Tunnellers All.

252 Company were at Beaumont Hamel (based in Auchonvillers) during the Somme, Bullecourt, Bapaume, Hebuterne, Noreuil, Havrincourt Wood, Quesnoy & Mauberge. They blew the famous Hawthorne Mine seen on the Somme film.

Regards

Simon

Simon

Well I'm blowed - I've only done one Somme tour so far (and one Ypres) but the Beaumont Hamel/Auchonvilliers/Hawthorn mine area was one of the places we visited! Now I find out I'd been where Uncle Arthur had been!

I will see if my mother and uncle have any opinions on the identity of the man in the photo; unfortunately my leads as to the whereabouts of Arthur's sons are very slim.

Adrian

• 12 years later...

I chanced upon this book a few weeks ago and bought it out of curiosity more than anything else, however I have this evening finished it and felt I had say congratulations to all involved in it's publication. A superb work from cover to cover.

David