The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Tank Corps

GavinH

I'm researching a Pte James Allcock who served with the 2/Royal Fusilers and the Tank Corps. His MIC shows entitlement to a 1914-15 Trio and SWB. I have checked all three rolls (1914-15 Star, BWM & Vic, SWB) but none identify the Battalion of the Tank Corps he served with. He was discharged due to sickness on 17/12/1918. His regimental number was 311503.

I'm clutching at straws here, but is his regimental number significant? Can anyone suggest any other way of identifying his battalion (Apart from WO363 & 364)?

I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

Gavin

Guest robin miller

I dont know if Reg No. corresponeds to any battalion sorry.

But My grand uncle Arthur William Miller was transfered into the Tank corps about jan 1918 (from Royal Sussex Reg) his Reg No 304301 his Battalion was the 13th.

He was killed in action 3/10/1918.

Question

Have you only looked at Medal Index Card

If its yes have a look at the Medal Roll Book that does sometimes gives a little more information than a MIC.

Good Luck in you search

Hello Robin,

Thanks very much for your reply. I have seen the Medal Card, and the Medal Rolls, but unfortunately they don't give any clue as to the Tank Corps Battalion. If the regimental numbers were issued in sequence, it would appear that my man transferred well after Arthur Miller, so a date in mid-1918 looks probable. Does anyone know whether this is a valid assumption?

Regards

Gavin

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Gavin,

Have you tried using SDGW and the CWGC database?

Use SDGW to find a casualty with a number close to your relative and then use CWGC website to identify the unit.

A lot of men in the number series you refer to are only listed as the 5th Reserve Tank Depot.

Any luck with his service record?

Ian

Hello Ian,

It really hadn't occured to me to try that approach. Thanks very much for the suggestion. I don't have the SDGW CD, but I should think there's one avaliable at the National Archives. I haven't tried the surviving service records yet, but it's top of my list of things to do when I next manage to get to Kew. I'll post the outcome when I do.

Regards

Gavin

• 2 months later...

I finally made managed to get to the National Archives, but unfortunately there were no surviving service records For Private Allcock in WO363 or WO364. I checked SDGW and the CWGC and found only two casualties who had six digit service numbers starting 311***. They were:

311461 - Pte Harry Waters - Died at Home 31/10/18 - 22nd Battalion

311856 - Pte James Hone Lewis - Died F&F 10/12/18 - Reinforcement Depot.

Regards

Gavin

Ian,

Beats Christmas shopping any day! I can always do that next week...! I did think about absent voters lists, but I have no idea where he was from! There are loads of James Allcocks on the 1901 Census.

Does anyone have access to the index of the National Roll of Honour of the Great War by any chance?

Regards

Gavin

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Gavin - There is a complete set in the PRO library incl. index - so near but yet so far!

I have to say that I have been scratching my head trying to think of a Tank Corps Historian - one with w roll that is. <_<

Ian

There is a complete set in the PRO library incl. index

I suppose there would be. Seems obvious now you mention it! Oh well, something for my next trip.

Regards

Gavin