As per CWGC

Name: QUARTERMAN, GEORGE

Initials: G

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Tank Corps

Unit Text: 5th Bn.

Date of Death: 11/10/1918

Service No: 201019

Additional information: Son of John and Sarah Quarterman. Served in a Field Amb. Unit as a voluntary motor amb. mechanic in March, 1915, in France.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: IV. C. 29/30.

Cemetery: BUSIGNY COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION

& the cemetery info

Cemetery: BUSIGNY COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION

Locality: Nord

Location Information: Busigny is a village about 10 kilometres south-west of Le Cateau and 24 kilometres north-east of St. Quentin. The Communal Cemetery and Extension are a short distance west of the village on the south side of the road to Bertry.

Historical Information: Busigny was captured by the 30th American Division and British cavalry on 9 October 1918, in the Battle of Cambrai, and in the course of the next two months the 48th, 37th and 12th Casualty Clearing Stations came successively to the village. The majority of the burials were made from these three hospitals. The cemetery extension was begun in October 1918, and used until February 1919. After the Armistice it was enlarged when graves were brought into Plots II-VII of graves from a wide area between Cambrai and Guise. Busigny Communal Cemetery Extension contains 670 First World War burials, 64 of them unidentified. The extension was designed by Charles Holden.

No. of Identified Casualties: 696

1901 census has the 10 year old George living at 9, St Aldates in Oxford (next door to The Green Dragon). Also there are his father John (47), a domestic Butler, mother Sarah (47) and brother John aged 12.

In the 1891 census the family lived at 162 Marlborough Road, Oxford.

He's very likely to be one of the men I'm researching on the Wilmslow memorial, as there are only two G Quartermans on the CWGC, and one of them is Australian.

I'd been trying to narrow down which one of them it would be conclusively, as there is nothing so far to connect the UK one specifically with this area, and there is always the chance that he emigrated so the Australian one is my man.

Jon

Jon

There is a Martha Quarterman listed in the 1901 census living at 39 Canal Street, Congleton. She is recorded as Married, aged 45, a dressmaker and was bron in Congleton. She is the sister of the head of household, Mary Hadley.

There is no record of a husband or children, but it does give the name a link to your area.

SN

Ah, thank you.

She's not old enough to likely be the grandmother of George, but I guess there is a good chance of her being an aunt. Perhaps George, or his family, relocated to the North West sometime after 1901 if they already have family here.

Perhaps as I go through local papers I'll get more on him. Thanks.