The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

318 Coy Labour Corps

Guest Wodge

A request, to any of the the Pals who might be able to help me piece together details of part of my grandfathers war.

I have lost him at the battle of Loos in 1915, where he served with the 5th Lincs.

I have no further trace until he was discharged from 318 Coy Labour Corps in 1919 in Nottingham. Does anybody know where he may have been and what service this Labour Corps saw?

Thanks to all

Wodge

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Your best bet is to e-mail Ivor Lee, who is a member of this forum as he is the Corps Historian.

Labour Corps Coys unfortunately did not keep War Diaries as a general rule.

Ian

Wodge

318 Coy, Labour Corps is not listed in the Order of Battle on 11 November 1918 for the Western Front.

There is therefore a good chance that 318 Coy served in Great Britain.

The Labour Corps didn't form until 1917 so you still have at least two years of your grandfathers war missing. Have you looked at his Medal Card, this may tell you if he served in any units in between 5 Lincs and 318 Coy, or he may have stayed with 5 Lincs until 1917/18/19.

The Labour Corps consisted of 400,000 men with about 180,000 serving in Great Britain.

Your grandfather is likely to have been transferred to 318 Coy after being declared unfit for front line service, possibly due to wounds or illness.

My great grandfather was transferred from 18 Northumberland Fusiliers to the Labour Corps after he was gassed.

Ivor Lee has a website which contains a lot of information on the Labour Corps and hopefully he can help you.

SEAN

Thanks Sean,

Ivor's website most intersting.

Still asking for any help with the particular locations of 318 Coy during 17/18 if any one can help.

Regards

Wodge