The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Need help with this Book: The History of the Royal Bavarian 6th Field

Militarytorch

I recently bought an antique M1879 revolver with a regimental unit mark.

B.6.A.6.51 Bavarian 6th Artillery Regiment 6th Battery Weapon 51

I started doing some research and it so happens that there was a book written back in 1931 about this unit.

Since I don't read German I was wondering if someone might know what this book is about?

The German Title is

"

Die Geschichte des K.B. 6. Feldartillerie-Regiments Prinz Ferdinand von Bourbon Herzog von Calabrien

"

https://fortress-books.com/uk/fortress-books-detail.asp?menu=2&page=1&id=6365168

It's the regimental history .... 'History of the Royal Bavarian 6th Field Artillery Regiment, 'Prince Ferdinand of Bourbon, Duke of Calabria'.

Yes, 'B.6.A.6.51' does on the face of it seem to be "Bavarian 6th Artillery Regiment 6th Battery Weapon 51" - but doesn't that 51 seems a rather high number for a revolver issued to a member of a battery? I really have no idea how many revolvers these guys would have, but it just seems to me to be a bit on the high side - for example, I think / thought that it was only the officers and senior NCO's who were issued with hand-guns.

Can we have a photograph and a better description of the weapon?

Thanks!

Trajan

Well, that's certainly an interesting set of numbers and stamps there! It's too late for me (kid's bed- and story-time here) to do much now, but somebody else will probably help you before I get up tomorrow.

But, as you will know, you have a re-issued weapon, this having belonged to another Bavarian unit before being issued to 'B.6.A' - I think that one was a reserve unit? Or a mounted artillery unit - a small 'r' might indicate a "reitende batterie". (But Bavarian markings are still rather uncharted territory for me!).

I think the first photo on post no. 4 (with the 'B.6.A' marking) shows the inspector's mark to the left of the number. And obviously you have lots of nice matching part numbers!

It's a nice looking piece! But I am still wondering about that high number '51', which just seems to me a way bit too high to be an artillery unit-issued weapon... Looking at the 1877 regulations right now and I wonder if the 'A' might be for an Amt (an Office/department, e.g., provisions, bakers), or Auditeure, etc..

Hopefully somebody who knows more about Bavarian markings and especially the critical number of revolvers in an artillery unit will chime in at some point ... And, if you agree, I wouldn't mind seeing those photographs of the markings re-posted on this thread - http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=208575 - All grist to the mill!

TTFN,

Trajan