The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

CPO Rolls Collingwood Bn

Terry

To mark the 1914 operations of the Naval brigades in Belgium I have enclosed a photo of the medal group of CPO William Rolls of the Collingwood Battalion.

As can be seen his Long Service and Good Conduct Medal is a Victorian issue (1897); Rolls was nearing fifty in 1914. While most of the battalion ended up captured or interned, Rolls was according to one report one of only twenty-two Collingwoods to make it back to England after the fall of Antwerp.

post-1-1097617776.jpg

Terry

lovely to see those medals. I too have special interest in the RND. My great uncle, Harry Chalmers was killed at Beaumont Hamel in Nov 1916 with Nelson Battalion.

My wife and I have the special pleasure and honour of attending the RND memorial service at Collingwood Corner, near Blandford Forum each June.

Also have you heard Richard Tobin on Forgotten Voices talking about Antwerp. It is rivetting stuff.

Best Regards

Invicta

Also have you heard Richard Tobin on Forgotten Voices talking about Antwerp. It is rivetting stuff.

Invicta - is that Nick - we met at the PRO? My memory is useless.

Anyway the point of my post - if you have not already done so you should listen to how Tobin described the Somme (his words are on both Forgotten Voices and the BBC's The Great War). I only wish he lad left a diary or written a book as I am sure his WW1 memoris would be up their with Frank Richards or Joe Murray, to name but two.

Jon

While most of the battalion ended up captured or interned, Rolls was according to one report one of only twenty-two Collingwoods to make it back to England after the fall of Antwerp.

This may be of interest - I had a document out at TNA last week that gave several lists for each Battalion of men returned from, killed, wounded or interned, following the withdrawal from Antwerp. I probably have the document reference in my notes at home.

Signals

that's correct we did meet at the NA a few weeks back. It's Neil by the way, sorry can't remember yours either. Good to hear from you. Would like that reference if you have it handy please.

Best regards

Terry,

I do not know whether or not you were a subscriber to Len Sellers’ magazine ‘RND’

But on the off chance that you have not seen it, CPO Rolls got a mention in

“Some Observations of Prominent People” a poem written by AB H.V. Clark, a former school master who wrote about the characters at the Crystal Palace. It was originally published in a magazine called ‘By the Fireside’ in 1917.

Verse 46

“Where is Royce?, Where is Royce? C.P.O. Rolls!

You reprimand unlucky souls.

Who, appearing after ‘10’ has struck,

Try hard to hide their waning pluck!”

It’s not Byron or even Burns, but I thought that you might like to see it

Regards

Michael D.R.

Michael,

Brilliant! Great stuff to see my man mentioned in a poem. I don't know about the magazine you mentioned. Can you give me any details?

Michael,

Brilliant! Great stuff to see my man mentioned in a poem. I don't know about the magazine you mentioned. Can you give me any details?

The original copies of the RND are no longer available but Len Sellers can get them specially produced at £10 per copy (tehre were 24) - however he is currently looking at producing the set in a more cost effective CD version ... there are some issues to be dealt with but might be available before the end of the year.

Signals

that's correct we did meet at the NA a few weeks back. It's Neil by the way, sorry can't remember yours either. Good to hear from you. Would like that reference if you have it handy please.

Best regards

Sorry Neil - I forgot to look at home last night. Will try and remember tonight.

Jon

Terry,

If you want to follow-up on Signals’ info and get a printed copy from Len,

then CPO Rolls is mentioned [as above] in ‘RND’ Issue No.1 June 1997 on page 22.

You will also find him in Fevyer & Wilson’s ‘The 1914 Star to the RN & RM’

See page 43:

Rolls, W.H.

PO1

Clasp issued

Medal to Party 17 Mar 1925

So he had a bit of a wait didn’t he

Signals,

That’s very good news that Len plans to re-issue ‘RND’ in CD format – please oblige and keep us informed

Best regards

Michael D.R.

Posted something on this man some time ago but thought it might be of interest to those on this thread.

Des

Portglenone man lost on HMS Viknor.

We regret to state that Saml. M. Gourley A.B. of the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve lost his life in the sinking of HMS Viknor. Young Gourley, who was only 21 years of age, was a son of Mr. James Gourley, Portglenone.

He was called up at the outbreak of war and took part in the defence of Antwerp, and was amongst those who made their escape towards Ostend.

SAMUEL M. Gourley, Portglenone, son of Mr. James Gourley, senior Postmaster in Portglenone, was with the Royal Naval Volunteers in the trenches at Antwerp.

He returned to Portglenone on a few days furlough on Thursday October 15 and he left Ballymena on Sunday last to report himself at Dublin on Monday morning.

Before going he received a presentation of a beautiful Bible from Miss Young, Portglenone House and a presentation of cigarettes and money from several of his companions in Portglenone.

The Naval Marine was one of a party of the defenders (of Antwerp) who, mud-stained, dirty and unshaven, returned to Dover from Ostend.

Only a week previously he had left Dover and with his comrades embarked for a port unknown. They landed in France (?) and were sent direct to the trenches where they were underfire at once.

Several chaps around him were struck but he escaped ..... on the retreat he experienced many thrilling adventures.

At one time they were almost led into the German lines but through the intervention of a Belgian officer they were put on the right track and the treacherous guide was shot.

Most of them got back to England safely after about eight days but some strayed into Holland and were interned there and a few, alas, were left lifeless in the trenches.

Michael - will do. Len is musing over the idea of re-launching the RND in CD format - this is for the already published volumes, no new volumes will be forthcoming - so you may see his adverts for the CD version in STAND TO, MEDAL NEWS etc but I will try and remember to put a thread on here when it happens.

Neil - I had three ANTWERP documents out last weekend as follows:

ADM1/8397/Antwerp Operations, Oct 14 - Despatches on RN Brigades

ADM116/1438 - RND - Action at Antwerp

ADM116/1439 - RND - Action at Antwerp

I think the latter two contained lists for each RN/RM Battalion of men returned from Anwterp, or killed, wounded or interned, following the withdrawal.

Regards,

Jon